Reclining seats on economy flights

it doesn't really bother me when someone in front reclines, I'm still a bit baffled by the thread.

You've recounted a couple of episodes you experienced yourself where people were annoyed with you when you reclined, so why are you baffled by the thread?

Is this saracastic and means that really you did? :confused:

Ha, someone give him a shovel.

Back to topic, as a 6'4" frequent short haul flyer, I find the reclining of seats even more offensive than quiet a few of ClubMans posts.

Have a bit of respect for other passengers and have the decency to ask the person behind if they would mind before you recline your seat.

You've recounted a couple of episodes you experienced yourself where people were annoyed with you when you reclined, so why are you baffled by the thread?

Fair enough.
But bottom line for me - on long haul I need to sleep - I will be ill if I don't, it's related to a medical condition. The flights I described above were 5 and 13 hours respectively, both overnight, and with subsequent connections via LHR of a further 3 to 4 hours.
If the person behind expects me to sit upright for that long they can think again. I'm sure when they want to sleep they will also recline.

Long haul flights are totally different, bigger aircraft, more realistic space between the rows of seats. i couldnt care less if people in front of me recline on long haul.

on short flights when people recline and you are upright your nose practically touches their seat, not to mention your kneecaps getting a battering if they decide to smash the seat back at full force - its just inconsiderate for people to recline on flights where the space is so limited.

Long haul flights are totally different, bigger aircraft, more realistic space between the rows of seats.

Not always. A couple of years ago I spent most of a United Airways flight from Heathrow to San Francisco with my knees around my ears (nothing to do with the Kama Sutra!)

Normaly on longer flights, if I feel the need to recline my seat, I'll check to see if the passenger behind me has done the same.

So whoever is sitting at the back of the plane must recline first and then that dictates when everyone else is allowed to relax?
On shorthaul I agree there is no need to recline.
On longhaul I would generally wait until food service is finished, lights are dimmed and then, forgive my manners, but if I need sleep then I'm going to do what I can to get it. If someone is rude enough to stick their knees in my back it just reinforces my resolve.

:) given that those at the back of a plane are generally not in a position to recline their seats they can then impose their discomfort on everyone else :)

For long haul flights there is an additional few inches on the minimum seat pitch which makes this less problematic and as they generally dim the lights to allow people to sleep you won't find my knees in your back if you recline. What I am saying is that I always look behind and check first.

The simple issue is space, there isn't enough of it and only regulatory control is likely to make it ample for most of the population. For reference RyanAir have a seat pitch of 30" and Aer Lingus 32" (I think) but don't forget, that is measured from the back of one seat to the back of the next so the more cushioned a seat is the less of that seat pitch is in front of you.

Just googling and it seems I was slightly astray in my earlier post the 26" refers to the seat depth and equates to a seat pitch of about 28".

If your seat can recline then surely you have the right to do so simple as that.If they don't want you to relax on your flight then they should remove the reclining facility. By the way I always take my rubbish with me even though I do like to use the recline feature, I do however take it back up when food is been served.Am I doing something wrong I don't think so.

If your seat can recline then surely you have the right to do so simple as that.If they don't want you to relax on your flight then they should remove the reclining facility. By the way I always take my rubbish with me even though I do like to use the recline feature, I do however take it back up when food is been served.Am I doing something wrong I don't think so.

I like your logic; I queue politely to get on board, bring my rubbish or hand to attendant, pack up my tray for the attendant, don't recline until after meals are finished, share the arm rests, try to reserve a seat on longhaul that means I don't have to disturb anyone to get out of my seat, oh and I also try to use the toilets before the "20 minutes to landing" rush... On the grand scale of things I think I'm a reasonably pleasant passenger :D

Am I doing something wrong I don't think so.

Just ask the 6Ft guy sitting behind you. You sound like a nice person but it is just simple manners to take other peoples comfort in consideration when you are in such a confined space.

It's like farting in a lift, sure you are allowed to do it but it is just not polite.

And if someone books an airline seat they have the right not to have their knees shoved in their face. Sure, there's no law against reclining. And if it comes down to rights then we have lots of them, but we have a responsibility to be courteous also. The only solution is the one Ryanair implement on new planes- no reclining facility on seats on short haul flights - unless of course they increase the distance between seats so everyone can enjoy their rights without infringing on others! Imagine all the people, living life in peace...

The point is, when you recline you're taking away space from the passenger behind you. Therefore, while you're relaxing they're being squashed. I just don't think this is fair unless you're on a long haul flight (where there's more space available) or are feeling ill and need to lie back.

If you base your decision on whether to recline or not on the person behind you, why not just do the same if the person in front reclines? Follow their lead and recline also? Everyone happy.

If you base your decision on whether to recline or not on the person behind you, why not just do the same if the person in front reclines? Follow their lead and recline also? Everyone happy.

Except the person at the back of the plane!

So, there's a tall person behind me so I can't recline and there's a fat person next to me and I have to respect their inability to stay out of my space... bugger that, on a long-haul flight I'll recline. It's uncomfortable enough without having to sit bolt upright for 6 hours. The seats are designed like that for a reason. Oh, and any one who sticks their knees in my back will find me adjusting my seat back repeatedly until they cop on. You're not breaking any rules and the seats are designed to go back/ I don't see what the problem is.

there's a fat person next to me and I have to respect their inability to stay out of my space...
Why do you have to respect their inability to stay out of your space?? If they can't fit in a single seat they should buy two - or a business class seat. My sister-in-law was next to a woman she described as a '350-pound gorilla' (sis-in-law is american) on a long-haul flight - the flight was totally full so there was nowhere else to move to - the woman was so large that the armrests could not be lowered while she was sitting down so the airhostesses lifted the armrest between SIL and woman so that woman could spill into half SIL's seat!! Luckily SIL in thin. Totally unacceptable in my view.

Why do you have to respect their inability to stay out of your space?? If they can't fit in a single seat they should buy two - or a business class seat. My sister-in-law was next to a woman she described as a '350-pound gorilla' (sis-in-law is american) on a long-haul flight - the flight was totally full so there was nowhere else to move to - the woman was so large that the armrests could not be lowered while she was sitting down so the airhostesses lifted the armrest between SIL and woman so that woman could spill into half SIL's seat!! Luckily SIL in thin. Totally unacceptable in my view.

Well I would be more inclined to be annoyed at the airline for selling a woman that size a one seat ticket if she couldnt fit into one seat. That should have been picked up at check in.

The seats are designed like that for a reason.

On short haul flights, the seats are pushed tighter together to accomadate more passengers and thus bring the unit cost of the seat down. Even though the seat will still have the facility to recline, quiet often it is impossible to do so without causing pain or discomfort to the person behind. In this situation, most people with decent manners would not recline their seats. You will always have the odd inconsiderate passenger who is only concerned with their own comfort and thus we have threads like this in letting off steam. QED.

Long haul flights are a different matter as has been stated previously in this thread.

Back