Reclaim VAT on EU Purchase

Lobby

Can I claim back VAT on a purchase made in Northern Ireland for business. The supplier is difficult to contact (large chain retailer) so I cannot give them my VAT number and have them charge zero VAT.

So if I pay the price, which includes UK VAT, do I claim that back from the Irish Revenue?

you can't claim UK VAT back from the Irish Authorities.

You may be able to reclaim the VAT incurred from the UK authorities under an 8th directive reclaim. Check out the HMRC site ( ) site for the reclaim form.

Why cant contact the accounts or even sales manager of the supplier and set yourself up to be charged zero VAT?. It should be able to be done over the phone. This is a normal process. I have had some suppliers who look for lettehead with VAT number, but this can be emailed.

They don't even need your letterhead (anyone could print one of these). Just the number is required. The vendor can check your VAT registration [broken link removed] if they don't believe you.

It's office furniture from MFI but the calls go through to an call centre situated god knows where who don't seem to know what to do about a zero VAT request.

The manager in Asda in Enniskillen didn't know what I was talking about when I brought up a similar query with them recently.

Thanks everyone, I think we'll just source the stuff here instead. The VAT and the delivery charge to Ireland make it as dear as local stuff anyway.

I have found UK internet shops (smaller ones for electronics etc dabs.co.uk for one) to be quite helpful in doing zero VAT sales.

Back