recession? what recession?!

I've been trying to buy a lawn mower for last few weeks. Loads of shops are only interested in selling me what they have already in the shop which was usually a basic model from each manufacturer whereas I wanted the next step up one (larger and more expensive model). Not a single one of them would order it in for me even though I offered to pay in full in advance. A shop in Belfast were nearly falling through the phone to help me out though - definitely there are shops and businesses out there that find its too much work for them to do a bit of real work. I'm also still waiting for 2 other businesses to ring me back with quotes for work despite repeated requests. If they not interested in quoting, find, tell me but why pretend all-interest only to ignore the customer.

Going back to the OP and indeed some of the posts here including my own, I wish that people would just be upfront and say 'I dont want/ need the business'..:mad: recession or no recession..

I think thats a very interesting comment
I think if business did that then the customer would probably tell their friends OR put it on forum like this or call Joe Duffy! So from a businesses point of view not such a good idea.
I know at a corporate level for deals involving millions if we dont want the business because we dont think it will be profitable at "market rates" we prefer to be uncompetitive pricewise than say we dont quote because the corporate customer might bring us other busienss we might want .

I was out in Power City last week with my son who was purchasing a fairly expensive television set. (by my standards anyhow).
We asked the sales person could he do anything on the price for us. It was already cheaper than other outlets. We were delighted when he knocked a further €100 off the price.
I will certainly be pleased to give them my business in the future.

I remember purchasing a kitchen full of white goods from an electrical outlet in Dun Laoghaire some 12 years ago when we purchased our present house. I asked the shop owner could he arrange or recommend someone who could plumb our washing machine and dishwasher for us. He didn't even entertain our request or offer any help or advice or recommendation to us.
We have had to replace all of the white goods over the last year or so. I didn't even consider offering this guy my repeat business because of his attitude and tone the first time around.

I think thats a very interesting comment
I think if business did that then the customer would probably tell their friends OR put it on forum like this or call Joe Duffy! So from a businesses point of view not such a good idea.
Yes, of course, nobody will say upfront' we dont want the business' but by pretending interest (in the case of the OP and other posts here including my own) and then letting the customer down, it is very likely that the disappointed customer will spread the word anyway...

Back