Receiving jobseekers allowance, Going to do a post-grad

P

paulm85

Hello I've been receiving jobseekers allowance for around 6 months but in a few weeks I'll be starting a post-graduate course in Trinity college. I'm not sure what to do now, as I've been told conflicting things by people I know.

I was told that instead of signing off I should do something which involves putting it on hold for the time while im doing the course so that I don't have to go through the whole process of applying for jobseekers allowence again afterwards if need be.

I was also told by a friend of mine that its possible to still get jobseekers allowance for a few months while doing the course, any truth in that?

any advice would be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance

I have heard stories of people on jobseekers who done courses and 'forgot' to notify their employment office or were not aware as to whether this was to be done or not and came to no harm, as no one was ever the wiser.

If you are a full-time student, you are not available for, or genuinely seeking work which is the main condition for receiving Jobseeker's Allowance.

While Ger's information may be true, there are also cases where students who "forgot" to sign-off were pursued when the Dept cross-referenced student registrations with the live register.

Have a look at www.welfare.ie for information on Jobseeker Supports and Back to work/education/training which may help.

Back