Receive dole while doing part-time course?

Patch

Hi there!

I am about to do the Hibernia teacher training course.
It is a part-time, online course, duration 18 mths.
I have lived abroad for the past yr and am home now two mths.
I signed on for the dole as soon as I got back.

Basically need to know am I still entitled to the dole as a part-time student??
I will still be available for work Mon-Fri and most Saturdays as the majority of the course is completed online at your own convenience.

Being available for and genuinely seeking work is one fundamental qualification criterion for Unemployment Benefit/Assistance. If you meet the other qualification criteria (e.g. PRSI contribution record for UB, means test for UA etc.) then you should be OK. The qualification criteria are outlined on the Welfare site.

Don't expect to be left undisturbed for the duration of your course.

As mentioned, you're signing a regular declaration that you're available for and actively seeking work. If you're still unemployed after three to six months of signing on, you are likely to be referred to FAS to see how their training and placement services can be used to restore you to the workforce.

Thanks for the replies Clubman & Magoo.

With the new school yr starting I hope to work as a substitute teacher & sign on as a 'casual' worker whereby I am docked a certain percentage of my dole in relation to the no. of days per week I work. That would rule out FAS placements/courses.
I have friends who did this last yr successfully while completing the course.
Suppose I just want to know definitively that it is ok to claim the dole while doing a part-time online course.
If I could find this out without approching my local social welfare office then that would be great!

Guess I am just anxious that I will not continue to get the dole if I mention the course.
I have no back up plan apart from the sub teaching which is very irregular in my neck of the woods. Weeks could go by without getting a day.
I am reluctant to take on full time employment with the nature of the course. While it is deemed 'part time' I have been warned of the enormous workload that is involved as well as month long teaching practice placements that would not be condusive to even the most flexible of employers.

Guess I am just anxious that I will not continue to get the dole if I mention the course.
But you need to know if this is the case. If you are not entitled to it and continue to claim it then you are engaging in welfare fraud.
I have no back up plan apart from the sub teaching which is very irregular in my neck of the woods. Weeks could go by without getting a day.
I am reluctant to take on full time employment with the nature of the course. While it is deemed 'part time' I have been warned of the enormous workload that is involved as well as month long teaching practice placements that would not be condusive to even the most flexible of employers.
This information is all irrelevant to the substantive issue of whether or not you are entitled to claim UA/UB while participating in this course.

I am reluctant to take on full time employment with the nature of the course.

I'd keep schtum on this if I was you. The full-time employed people in Welfare tend not to be overly sympathetic to those who regard full-time employment as something of an inconvenience.

I'd keep schtum on this if I was you. The full-time employed people in Welfare tend not to be overly sympathetic to those who regard full-time employment as something of an inconvenience.
Not informing them of material facts that might mean that one no longer meets the qualification criteria for UA/UB would be welfare fraud. Neither I nor AAM nor most of the contributors here would recommend or condone this.

I have absolutely no intention of involving myself in welfare fraud, nor do I recommend or condone it.
I was simply wondering if any other person had personal experience of doing the course and obtaining UB/UA legally and above board.
I will seek the advice of my social welfare office.
Thanks

Just to clarify I was simply responding to these two comments:
It is the claimant's responsibilty and not at their discretion to apprise Welfare of any relevant material affects that might affect entitlement to allowances/benefits.

If it was a full time course and fulfilled the other criteria you might be eligible for the back to education allowance.

As a matter of interest, if the course is online and does not affect your availability for work, then why would you tell the Social about it?

thanks dontaskme
having sought professional advice I had the following confirmed; owing to its part time/online nature the course does not affect my availability for work and therefore my entitlement to UA.

Back