Reassigning a one unit lease

menty10

Hi, I am flat sharing with one person a 2 bedroom apartment and I wanted to vacate my room. I gave a one month notice to my flatmate and property manager. The property manager said the property is let as one unit and not on a room by room basis and I should find a replacement tenant so I can leave otherwise I should continue paying rent until I find one on which both my flatmate and the landlord agree. I have already vacated my room. And It is not possible for me to keep paying future rent when I am not even living there anymore. Is it legal to put such terms? What do I have to do at this step? Thanks.

Yes, we signed one lease with both of our names on it and rent is paid in full in one single transfer. I tried to find replacement tenants but my flatmate is pushing them off and is setting some very severe criteria.

My name is on the lease and I am bound to pay rent same as my flatmate, right? Won't there be any legalities if i just stop paying rent? I m thinking the landlord will have to ask to vacate the whole apartment since only one share will be paid. What else can the landlord do? legally speaking.

Is it legal to put such terms? What do I have to do at this step?
1. Yes
2. Find a replacement
3. If you skip without a replacement tenant, your flatmate/now former friend is on the hook for the full rent.
4. What can be legally done if you skip? To you? very little in truth. That doesnt make it acceptable however.

Thing is my flatmate is making it hard for me to find a new tenant, since he wants to move out as well. So, he wants me to keep paying rent until he does find another place, and this is also not acceptable nor fair to be honest. Also, what will happen in the case that my flatmate will only pay his share this month? What can the landlord do in this case?

What does the lease say about reassignment, does your flatmate have a veto right? Might be time for a frank discussion, you need to move on, they need to make reasonable accommodation to your needs. If they think they have the power to veto all prospective tenants, do you have the power to request a termination of the lease?

You could suggest you will be forced to choose a tenant without their input. Chances of getting someone to take on the lease without meeting the existing tenant might be slim, but they need to be forced to recognise

That's the thing the lease doesn't say anything about any reassignment, it is mentioned that it is not subject to break clause. The agent told us he only care about receiving the full rent and that we should discuss all other things internally with my flatmate. I asked to terminate my part of lease and he said lease can only be terminated if me and my flatmate agree on that.

Thing is my flatmate is making it hard for me to find a new tenant, since he wants to move out as well. So, he wants me to keep paying rent until he does find another place, and this is also not acceptable nor fair to be honest. Also, what will happen in the case that my flatmate will only pay his share this month? What can the landlord do in this case?
I am not sure they have a right to do this. Deal directly with the landlord/agent, and explain the situation to them. And you can also suggest to your less than agreeable co-tenant that either they agree to someone of your choosing or you stop contributing to the rent.

That not fair. The ideal way to deal with this is to look for a couple who want a 2 room unit (many couples do), who will initially just take half the tenancy, and later on the entire tenancy. If the flatmate doesn't agree tell him you will not pay your share of the rent after the end of the tenancy until he agrees to be cooperative.

Back