Rear Accident

locteau

Hi Guys,

Is anybody knows in which situation someone going into the rear of your car can be right ?

For E.g if the car was parked on a double yellow line, in a corner, or bad bend etc....

Or if for example it is only on the right and side rear only, is that make a difference.

I am just looking for to know more about the "legal rules" and experiences.

thank you​

As far as I know when someone rear ends you they are always in the wrong. They were driving to close to you, not paying attention or driving dangerously.

That's just my two cents worth.

unless the front car was reversing,
other possiblities i can think of are....
had faulty rear lights,
had dirty rear lights
had no lights working

If the lead vehicle was struck entirely to the rear, then unless that person was reversing and admits to it, unfortunately the car at the back is responsible. As already mentioned, you should be far enough away to be able to stop.

I've even dealt with people pulling out from side roads, garages etc into someones path but provided they have completed their manoeuvre.....you haven't got a leg to stand on, sorry.

A car passed out my sister once day and jammed on it's breaks in front of her and she had no option and ended up rear ending the car, the driver got out and said i am calling the guards and you are in the wrong and was very abbusive to her, lucky for her there was a car not to far behind her that saw what happened and stopped and gave their details to my sister incase she wanted a winteness, it went to court and the other driver had to pay for the damage to my siters car and he was put of the road for dangerous driving for a short period.

A car passed out my sister once day and jammed on it's breaks in front of her and she had no option and ended up rear ending the car, the driver got out and said i am calling the guards and you are in the wrong and was very abbusive to her, lucky for her there was a car not to far behind her that saw what happened and stopped and gave their details to my sister incase she wanted a winteness, it went to court and the other driver had to pay for the damage to my siters car and he was put of the road for dangerous driving for a short period.

That's a good example of where the person who rear ended the car is in the right. However, if your sister didn't have that witness I think she would have been found to be in the wrong.

Well anyway, I'm delighted your man was put off the road.

Car behind should have working front light to see the back of a parked car, or any obstruction like, a person for example, in the road.

From what my insurance says, I should not be reponsable for the following reasons :

- the car was park on a side of the road where athere is a continuous white line, in less 15m from a 90 degree turn, and this is illegal. which with reflection time + braking time even at 20km/h would not have permitted my car to stop in time, especially that the bend was full of shipping stones (not signs by county councill by the way)

- Basically, they will arguee that it was dangerous parking, and coul have put in danger the other users, when he could have stop a wee bit further or on the edge. His car had no mechanical problem to do so, and he was out of the car.

I think we have to be carefull that we just assume the general rule of being wrong when crashing into the rear. (I only damage the back rear side)

That's a good example of where the person who rear ended the car is in the right. However, if your sister didn't have that witness I think she would have been found to be in the wrong.

Well anyway, I'm delighted your man was put off the road.

Sounds like this was an attempted insurance scam to me.

Thought you were talking about me... you scared me.

My case was more complicated, because they was already an accident before I hit the guy (whicg was not involved with any of the accident), but nobody was signaling it in this turn.... so they have to look each case one by one.

I did hear of a case many moons ago where someone went into the back of someone else & the responsibility was spilt something like 60:40....the other car had to accept some of the blame as he had parked dangerously for no particular reason (I guess he was in a rush/paying by the minute.....he apparently had to ask his "companions" name)

Back