Re-Locating to Ireland (best place for a dog grooming business etc)

G

groomingtail

My partner and I are looking into relocating to Ireland from Liverpool, he would like to live in Northern Ireland purely for his line of work which is Aerospace Industry. I have never been to Ireland but have heard how lovely it is. I was looking into Southern Ireland.

I have a sucessful business in Dog grooming which has now been running for 3 years alothough I started mobile and have moved to a shop 2 years ago. I have 900 customers on my books but it is competitive were I have my shop and have about 600 recurring customers.

I would like to set up a dog grooming business if we re locate and also possible dog breeding and a very small kennels (a home from home).

Does anyone know of any areas who are desperate for dog groomers whether northern or southern. We are hoping to come accross to Ireland over the next couple of months.
Thank you
Michelle

Re: Re-Locating to Ireland

I wouldn't say people here know too much about 'dog grooming'. You could try www.boards.ie. And then Rec / Animal & Pet issues

According to the business news on RTE this morning, it's the 2nd bigget reas next to general retail.....hard to believe. They interviewed one lady that ran a day spa for dogs...

"Goomingtail"

In my opinion, Dublin is crying out for a more dog groomers - there just don't seem to be enough to go around.

I've had a dog for 3 years and during that time I've found it a constant NIGHTMARE trying to find a good, regular groomer.

My difficulty always lies in the fact that I work full time & therefore can't drop off/pick up dog between 10am-3pm Mon-Fri. & virtually none of them work on Saturdays or in the evenings. I have to book at least 2 months in advance to have my dog groomed which is ridiculous.

I've tried getting the mobile dog grooming service to visit my home but....get this...... they won't take an appointment for after 3pm if the customer doesn't live near the groomer who drives the mobile unit!

As I said to the company when I tried to book them, that kinda defeats the object of being a "mobile" service!

From my experience, I would say that Dublin is THE place to set up your grooming service and even better if you're a mobile service....but please think of the dog owners who work during the week & still need to have their dogs groomed!

And if anybody out there can recommend a good, reliable groomer who works wknds/evenings in Dublin West area, I'd welcome some info.

Hi Groomingtail and welcome to AAM

Location Location is for discussing particular areas and developments.

Ask about business start ups and ideas in Askaboutbusiness.

Some unhelpful off topic posts have been deleted.

ajapale
(moderator)

Re-Locating to Ireland

aj, I thought the original post was fishing for advice on the best place in Ireland to locate suitable for both closeness to clients for her business and enabling her partner to travel to "the six counties" for his aerospace work?

Hi Marie,

This forum is for people to discuss the pros and cons of buying property in particular areas.
Brendan

Unfortunately I had to delete several off topic posts and my post was an attempt to get the thread back on track.

The best place to discuss locating a dog grooming businees would be AAB, indeed I think that this topic has been discussed there already.

aj

Re-Locating to Ireland

I understand, aj! If Groomingtail is still there perhaps she could break down her question in order to get the advice she needs ;).

Why wouldn't you look at Malahide. It's brim-full of ABC classers with more money than sense and likely to blow said money on frivolous things like dog grooming. You would also find that your hubby could work nearby at Dublin airport, or because you are just outside the trafficjam zone he could work in Belfast

Dundalk would also be my suggestion. The Aerospace industry is based in Belfast and nouth Dublin is in striking distance for dog grooming.

Dundalk would also be my suggestion. The Aerospace industry is based in Belfast and nouth Dublin is in striking distance for dog grooming.

Not enough high disposable income in Appalachian Louth to support dog grooming. I'd still say aim for one of the towns on the Fingal coast, malahide, skerries, possibly Termonfeckin near Drogheda. Just being realistic and helpful.

Re-Locating to Ireland

Well thankfully the Thought Police are not in total control and dogs continue to represent many things to many people. My dogs were invariably 'rescue' dogs from the D&C Home and I clipped their dewlaps and bathed them myself. HOWEVER there are folks for whom beautifully-groomed pedigree dogs are a passion and given the statistics there are lots of them, supporting huge numbers of pet-parlours. Nobody objects when people spend their hard-earned on booze and fags, or free-fall parachuting, or aholiday homes in Latvia so why the disgust at those who spend it on beaituflly-groomed dogs? By the way did anyone watch the annual Crufts dog-show on telly last weekend? Some cracking canines, many of them Irish-owned, among the Best of Show dogs.

Anyway the OP has suggestions for possible locations which will suit her business and husband's commute and I wish them well with it and hope she hasn't been too put off by the narrow-mindedness of a small minority.

Now, now take a few deep breaths and ease away from the ledge. People are allowed to have an opinion after all so long as it is factual, so who are you to lecture anyone on the free and frank expression of that? Dog grooming is itself a minority concern.

The advice I gave about Malahide was sound and most likely to lead to her success. Telling her to go to rural Louth is unhelpful on the same score as all she'll meet there is sheepdogs. Malahide is a good tip because it is one of the wealthiest towns in Ireland, and in the in the location she wants. Hope she's still listening.

Thank you for posting some ideas will look into the areas suggested we are hoping to come accross within the next couple of weeks. Not looking to take on the same amount of customers just enough to get by. We are looking to rent for the first 12 months as it is a big move for both of us and if we like it we will look to buying a property as I would like to either go into dog breeding and a home from home kenneling.

"Goomingtail"

In my opinion, Dublin is crying out for a more dog groomers - there just don't seem to be enough to go around.
Id completely agree here! As someone who works in the veterinary industry, everything and anything to do with pets is HUGE, believe me when i say ive seen many many people forking out €1000s on their pets!To the poster above who says its a "frivolous" expenditure, i completley disagree. Many breeds are impossible to keep well groomed. To have a healthy and well groomed animal is responsible pet ownership (if you've ever seen an un groomed cocker spaniels ears you'd see why its essential maintenance. Grooming is a skilled business and very tough thats why theres so few out there! Ireland provides some grooming courses but theres no actual professional organisation that trains here only in the UK. I think theres only 4 professionally registered groomers in this country i.e itd be the equivalent of going to peter marks and getting an untrained hairdresser :p Theres almost an elitist attitude off some of them in dublin though e.g. reply from one company "you dooo know we have a 2 month waiting list and you're not a regular so it may be longer"! Doggy Style charges ridiculous prices, >€100 for their 15-step canine spa treatment..even i dont love my dog that much (i stuck her in the bath and did it myself..luckily she has short hair), but goes to show what people are willing to pay!
I agree with the tip of being more flexible in your working hours i.e. early mornings/late evenings or weekends..especially weekends!
Good luck with your business ...you'll be raking it in :D

Not enough high disposable income in Appalachian Louth to support dog grooming. I'd still say aim for one of the towns on the Fingal coast, malahide, skerries, possibly Termonfeckin near Drogheda. Just being realistic and helpful.

Try to check out the competition as there's a good few dog grooming services in Skerries/Rush areas already I think...

I have now bought a book on living and working in Ireland which has given me lots of information, cost of living tax etc and have bought a map so I can look into the areas. I am hoping to travel within the next month and cannot wait.

Back