Rationel Windows.

There are 18 windows, plus one glass gable which includes a biofold door, a french door, a front and rear door and two standard external doors for my garage. In total there is 39M2 of glass not including the doors!

Jollyman, just doing a little research for you & myself (just interested in these things)- seemingly it has been proven in tests that the triple glazing does nothing extra for heat retention/u values but what it does do is make the room soundproof - ideal if you live on the side of a busy road.

Seemingly it is not worth the extra cost unless noise is a problem. If noise is a problem another way of reducing it is to have 2 different thicknesses of glass in the d/g unit and the speed at which sound travels has to readjust itself to go through the different thickness i.e. 6/14/4 instead of 4/16/4 glazing! (a rep from Pilkington Glass told me this years ago)

If Rationel don't\can't supply tripple glazing then there opinion has to be viewed as somewhat biased IMHO.

Jollyman, just doing a little research for you & myself (just interested in these things)- seemingly it has been proven in tests that the triple glazing does nothing extra for heat retention/u values but what it does do is make the room soundproof - ideal if you live on the side of a busy road.

The best double glazed windows I've found have a u-value of 1.1.

The worst tripple glazed windows I've found come in at 0.89. I've seen them go down to 0.6 (albeit for an awful lot of money)

I'd be interested in any link you have that discusses the theory that tripple glazing offers nothing extra in heat retention terms.

Thanks for the info Jollyman. Bit of a relief that my glazing is not as extensive as yours.

With regard to Double Glazing v Triple Glazing I did a quick Google search and picked up an interesting link to a set of charts for U values undervarious scenarios depending on what is used to fill the gap (see below):

[broken link removed]

Two conflicting views from NHG & SAS there, i guess at the end of the day it depends on what you want versus what you can afford to spend and reach a happy medium.

Two conflicting views from NHG & SAS there, i guess at the end of the day it depends on what you want versus what you can afford to spend and reach a happy medium.

I should clarify that I'm not saying that the u-value difference between double and tripple is worth the premium, but there is a difference.

Agreed no doubt there is a difference in U Value between double and triple glaze and the sound insulation aspect is vastly improved between the two. Its just a matter of deciding what is more efficent on the pocket i guess. Although i know the windows sold in glanmire are standard triple glazing but i also think i have read somewhere that they open inwards, has anyone actually used these windows?

Although i know the windows sold in glanmire are standard triple glazing but i also think i have read somewhere that they open inwards, has anyone actually used these windows?

Most\all of the windows I've seen from Germany\Austria open inwards. From the point of view of hanging blinds they're a pain, but the upstairs ones can be cleaned from the inside which is a nice trade off.

I've been looking at passive house certified windows.

try www.truewindows.ie they have excellent windows from lithuania based in sligo. I have used them on a few jobs and exceptional quality. Take 8-12 weeks to get them.

PS i have no affiliation with this company

Back