Rating the New government

At the rate they are losing BB'rs they'll be lucky to see out next year. What gets me is that there is an aimlessness about the gov't. Like they got power and now aren't sure what to do with it. I heard that silly Leo V and holliers, okay, could be taken out of context and maybe he was beinga bit light, but silly mistake nonetheless.

Enda told us Paddy likes to know. When are we going to be told? We need strong effective clear direction, not all the fuffling about.

I dont think they are doing a whole lot wrong (lets face it the world is gone up the left and there isnt a lot Ireland can do) so the reason they aint getting 10/10 is because of all the rubbish pre election promises they made.

I think this is the best opinion on this matter. I hope they will do a good job, but it is going to be difficult. Some of the pre-election promises were daft. Big wheels move slowly. Change is going to be slow.

Varadker has done nothing but is still capable of shooting himself in the foot.

With respect, the first piece of legislation before the new Dail related to Road Traffic legislation and road deaths are (according to the Gardai and RSA) substantially down from last year). These are positive developments.

Separately, he also brought in important new changes to drink driving laws, and announced plans to introduce new rules regarding drug driving tests next year. He also introduced new legislation to counteract the abuse of disabled parking.

On the issue of quangos, I also remember seeing he was one of the first Ministers to change to the way that board members of agencies are appointed. (Via ads in the papers if I recall asking people for expressions of interest).

I have no link or allegience to any political party. I have however experience of family members who were seriously injured (resulting in life limiting injuries via a drink driver) in a road traffic accident many years ago.

In a previous job, I dealt with many incidents of widespread abuse of disabled parking permits, so I am pleased that new changes have been introduced to counteract that.

Personally speaking, anything that can save people from death or serious injury on our roads is hardly 'shooting themselves in the foot'. These are life and death issues.

I think those new changes are commendable by the new Government and myself and my family are supportive of them.

On the issue of quangos, I also remember seeing he was one of the first Ministers to change to the way that board members of agencies are appointed. (Via ads in the papers if I recall asking people for expressions of interest).

You might try asking Leo what process his old friend Henry Minogue had to go through before Leo appointed him to the Board of Bus Eireann.

You might try asking Leo what process his old friend Henry Minogue had to go through before Leo appointed him to the Board of Bus Eireann.

I'm not sure what you're implying by that. To be clear, my post was regarding changes to the introduction of new road safety legislation and disabled parking permits, on the basis of wholly (and might I reiterate again), personal experience. I made a general comment regarding the process for appointments to appointments to boards of state boards on the basis of an advertisement in newspapers. Nothing else.

Back