Rathgar Village

Car parking in Rathgar is a nightmare. It only takes one car with two wheels parked on the path (invariably with the hazards going) to cause traffic chaos that can stretch back to Churchtown.

I imagine shoehorning Superquinn into such a tight retail area will only make things worse.

Have you looked at Larkfield Gardens in Harolds Cross? You can get a 3 bed redbrick in there for around your 600k budget and it's a lovely mature spot. I lived there for a few years and loved it. Great neighbours, around the corner from Superquinn and numerous buses to town and the houses hold there value well.

If I was choosing between the 3 areas I'd choose Rathgar, because the proximity to Bushey park for my dogs and future children far outweigh my desire to be around a lot of nice pubs and restaurants. If I was a dogless person not planning a family I'd choose Ranelagh.

If Bushey Park was your main attraction, you'd get cheaper houses nearer to Templeogue.

If Bushey Park was your main attraction, you'd get cheaper houses nearer to Templeogue.

I know, but Rathgar is nearer town and if I had my first choice as to where I would live in Dublin it would be Rathgar. Then Terenure, then Rathfarnam (around the old village) or Templeougue. I don't ask for much. ;)

Bushy park is nice but quiet far out. You have to go through the terenure bottle neck and then on to the next one :(

Have you looked at Larkfield Gardens in Harolds Cross? You can get a 3 bed redbrick in there for around your 600k budget and it's a lovely mature spot. I lived there for a few years and loved it. Great neighbours, around the corner from Superquinn and numerous buses to town and the houses hold there value well.

Not big on sundrive. The houses are not very nice either..

Has anyone seen those new Aideen Mews houses? Near Larkfield Gardens but with a Terenure address ;)

I went for a walk to where they are and they are down a horrible lane. Looking for over 800k - good luck!

Last edited:
Bushy park is nice but quiet far out. You have to go through the terenure bottle neck and then on to the next one :(

Depends where your going to. If we move back to Dublin it wouldn't be a concern for us.

Grotty Rathgar ? I remember last Christmas walking up around Brighton Road, looking longingly in at the huge 6 foot Christmas trees tastily decorated in the bay windows of the 1930s red-bricks, like a photo on a shortbread biscuit tin. I felt like Tiny Tim as I shuffled back to my abode. But now I feel much better.

The old Jewish deli on Orwell Road which was derelict for about 15 years has finally been renovated. A very stylish interiors shop, Affinity, opened a few months ago, well worth a visit, beautiful things and OK prices. Maybe sign of things to come in Rathgar if planners get their act together.

Funny thread. OP, Rathgar is one of the most salubrious and well-to-do areas in Dublin. It is in no way run-down, and it is in no way comparable to Harold's X, Rathmines, or even Ranelagh. Any comparable property in one of those areas and in Rathgar would be considerably more expensive in the latter.

My in-laws live on Highfield Road in Rathgar and love it. There is a very strong Residents Association who try to keep abreast of development, traffic issues etc...A Rathgar Development plan has been drawn up to try and improve the village in terms of traffic management, parking and other areas of concern.

If we have a ridiculously bad property crash/I win the lotto Rathgar is 100% where I'd buy!

Old Thread: I know! But just FYI for anyone looking at Rathgar. The Superquinn opened yesterday. (and the 108 has been demolished and rebuilt and renamed - The Rathgar (i think))

old house beside xtravision

I used to live in that old house for many years. Bought by a developer to build 9 apts in 2004...I left the place in 2008 as they were bringing in the machines...pity the fools left it too late to do anything with the place....I had the time of my life there! 13 years of no landlord. Plenty of parties. loads of laughs and tears....

the name of the house was named Orlando built 1840's was a 2nd class house (farmers) title hold owners called the Dalryples and the lease holders were the Crieghtons. William Crieghton took out a 999 year lease! in 1900....

those were the days!

Back