Rathgar Village

arry

Hi,

I am thinking of buying a town house near the city center. Am looking at the south side as thats were I am from. Was thinking of ranelagh/Harold X/rathgar.

I think that ranelagh is already at the height of its value but rathgar village is still a bit run down,. There seems to be some new development though i.e. I see that there is a superquinn going in there.

What do people think of it? Would I be better looking at Harold X or ranelagh?

Thanks

Arry

Nice quiet enough area, very expensive, close to Terenure village which has more resturants, shops etc. Where is the Superquinn being built?
Ranelagh would be my favourite, Harolds X is a bit hit and miss some nice and not so nice areas.

I live in Harolds Cross/Terenure ( very happily!) but moved to a friends house in Ranelagh for a few months while renovating. I loved it - I had the Luas and it was a very manageable walk to work ( Stephens Green). Harolds Cross is just that bit too far to walk without eating into the day. Ranelagh is steeped with great restaurants and good pubs and it is convenient for everything I wanted. Mind you, most of the roads are cramped and crowded and there are way to many yummy mummys driving/parking unnecessary SUV's on the too narrow roads. I found it claustrophic and would still prefer HX. I don't think Rathgar has as many amenities/facilities.

Why not split the difference and look at Rathmines?

mf

Harolds Cross is a bit grotty. You are basically shelling out for a D6 post code.

Hi,

I am thinking of buying a town house near the city center. Am looking at the south side as thats were I am from. Was thinking of ranelagh/Harold X/rathgar.

I think that ranelagh is already at the height of its value but rathgar village is still a bit run down,. There seems to be some new development though i.e. I see that there is a superquinn going in there.

What do people think of it? Would I be better looking at Harold X or ranelagh?

Thanks

Arry

Jeez, Rathgar run down? The locals won't like that.
Superquinn going into Protea Pine the old furniture store - hope that doesn't have negative implications for traffic or for the local stores - there are two decent off-licences (3 if you include Comans), a great bakery with queues out the door, two pubs, Butlers Pantry, probably 5 decent restaurants.

Jeez, Rathgar run down? The locals won't like that.

I was talking about Orwell Road there are a couple of derelict looking/poorly built shops on it.

Why not split the difference and look at Rathmines?

I dont mind going to area that is under going rejuvenation, but I dont want to wait 15 years!!!

I was talking about Orwell Road there are a couple of derelict looking/poorly built shops on it.

I dont mind going to area that is under going rejuvenation, but I dont want to wait 15 years!!!

Orwell road run down now that is funny - what shops are on it?

There is no parking around that Protea pine store where the Superquinn is going in?

Harolds Cross is a bit grotty. You are basically shelling out for a D6 post code.

Harolds Cross extends ,more or less, from the bridge at the canal to Kenilworth Cross roads where it meets Rathgar and terenure more or less and also extends towards Mount Argus/Kimmage. Its a large area with quite diverse houses apartments etc.. A lot of building work and planning applications going in on Harolds cross road at moment.Maybe thats what you mean by grotty.

I have lived in Har X for years, very good bus service(by dublin standards) close enough to walk into town( I walked into town to work when I worked in city centre. A great place to live.Much Of Har X is actually D6W by the way.

Anyway no one should get caught up in postcodes and exact name of suburb...my house has variously been desrcibed as Harolds Cross, Kenilworth, Rathgar and Terenure and Kimmage and even Rathmines!!

A house on my road is on sale for €1.3 mill and on same road( smaller house )€ 600,000 recently).

Orwell road run down now that is funny - what shops are on it?

There is no parking around that Protea pine store where the Superquinn is going in?

Orwell road has a couple of rubbish build shops facing the xtravision, I think it is a restaurant and a derelict looking building too.

I dont think that the Superquinn is going to have parking. Its area will be from the Protea pine store making an L and coming out on Orwell road beside the video store.

Harolds X is nice, if a little busy near the bridge. The main road that runs down to the bridge is not too nice.

Terenure is just a little too far out. Very nice area though.

Orwell road has a couple of rubbish build shops facing the xtravision, I think it is a restaurant and a derelict looking building too.

I dont think that the Superquinn is going to have parking. Its area will be from the Protea pine store making an L and coming out on Orwell road beside the video store.

Harolds X is nice, if a little busy near the bridge. The main road that runs down to the bridge is not too nice.

Where does Orwell road start is it at the Crossroads at Rathgar village?

There is an old Jewish store there which has been sold and is being renovated at present - it was rundown but hopefully will open with a decent shop and not another Spar/Centra.

Arry,

If your budget stretches to Orwell Road then Lucky you.

Honestly dont know where some of the posters live...Orwell Road, Rathgar Village grotty???????

Obviously my idea of grotty is somewhat different to yours.

AFAIK Superquinn bought Protea Pine, Orwell Motors and Xtra vision so they have quite a large L shape site in Rathgar Village. The village is a bit run down visually for such an affluent area but Coman's is a lot nicer then it used to be, Bijou is a lovely little restaurant, there are great delis and there a rumours going around that the 108 is going to be refurbished.

Arry,

If your budget stretches to Orwell Road then Lucky you.

Dont have that big a budget - only looking for a small town house as I am single ... you can get places *relatively* cheap if you dont need more space than say 800 sq feet. There is a small estate in the village with town houses for around 600k.

southsideboy - I heard that they are going to rebuild the 108. I was near there a few months ago and they had planning permission in the window for a new pub with three or four apartments on top.

Hi

I used to live many moons ago on Rathgar road and huge rents meant bye bye to area.Loved living there,remember the lovely bakery alright.Can't believe are is in any way run down but stand corrected ;-)

Would agree to be careful in Ranelagh as parking and traffic jams through side avenues etc is a definite problem.Lovely restaurants and "feel" to the area though.

The development you are talking about is a nice development. Most have no gardens. There are a few for sale at the moment with prices heading south. Down approx.15% in the last 9 months and i would some more to drop yet. Have a look and see what you think. Overall Rathgar is a nice place to live.

Back