Rates Question

dieter1

We are looking to move into a new commercial premises.

We're at lease stage at the moment, but there is a significant outstanding amount due to the Rates office.

We want it cleared, but they cant afford it. They are saying that they are going to get a solicitors letter drafted up that will remove any liability from us.

Unfortunately, the rates office are stating that if we move in, then we are responsible for rates, no matter that we just moved in. If we have a lease on the premises we are liable.

Anyone have any experience of this?

How much?

How about you clear the outstanding rates from all payments for rent so you're paying the landlord's rates with your rent money.

Or just rent somewhere which does not have this problem?

mf

Finding offices is not as easy as people will have you believe.....this is the right fit for us. In fact, its very difficult to find a decent Georgian office in Dublin 2 with the right dimensions, thats not a kip.

We have approached that scenario about paying for the rates, but they dont want to do it.

Its a weird situation, the place is ours, but not before they pay the rates.

Make a stand on this issue Dieter.

You will find somewhere else - do not get sucked into paying someone else's rates.

We've heard of horror stories both on AAM and off it where new leaseholders were stuck for rates still owing that the landlord hadn't cleared.

ONQ.

I'd be worried. If the landlord has refused to allow you to pay the outstanding rates by using your rent payments then I'd refuse to move in.

You will be liable for the outstanding rates. You could choose to pay the outstanding rates if the place is good enough. I would expect the landlord to ignore the issue if you move in, and to leave it entirely between you and the rates office.

What proportion is the rent to the rates? Would rates for the year be one months rent?, or three? I would calculate the total cost of renting for two years, or three years etc... and work out the overall percentage change if you pay the outstanding rates, compared to if you don't.

You could also check with your insurance company if any certs will be required, or alarm systems, (monitored perhaps).. if so the cost of these should be considered.

Ultimately, the problem is a property owner's problem. The landlord is going to have to deal with this problem, sooner or later. As each day passes by, the problem becomes bigger. Presently many councils are doing deals to have rates collected, so you might be able to structure a deal to your own benefit.

walk away would be my advise
the local council will hold you fully responsible for any outstanding rates
they will not even listen to any reason whatsoever
this will cost you expensively if you try to fight it

Back