Rain coming in exterior wall of house

hazelgreen

We bought second hand house of 4 yrs old some 35 yrs ago. A year later water poured in the kitchen and faulty plaster with wrong mortar mix on exterior was the problem. The original builder replaced sections of it but not the whole slab. Over the years good paint jobs with extra sealant added have sufficed and a one room was drylined. Sadly things are bad again, perhaps it was the hot summer or the heavy rain of past year? The bad wall is getting the brunt of the driving rain at the moment so water dripping into kitchen from above a window and two damp bedrooms.

What to do? remove all old plaster and redo or go for a textured paint aoplied by commercial firm that promises better result than ordinary paint? Cladding? any other ideas??

builder replaced sections of it but not the whole slab.

Might be the problem. If it was me I'd be replastering the whole wall. Sealant paint is only a minor stop gap and won't solve the problem long term.

We are of course, getting extreme rain today. So any chance of the rain getting in will be high. Check around fascia/soffits, tops of windows etc. to see if the rain is getting in there ... a tube of silicone might solve the problem and save the sledge hammer job of replastering.

Yes good point, I have used countless tubes of silicone sealant elsewhere in this house. I think problem area is where plumbing pipes emerge from bathroom above. Just have to be patient and wait for SUN. Worst of water is dribbling down inside of window and nuisance as cant catch the drips. But damp in two bedrooms. I use a moisture meter to see how it ebbs and flows over the year! I would go with spray on coating of commercial firm if I thought it would address the problem. They said a power wash to remove loose paintwork was all the prep needed.

Thank you for feedback.

All you're doing with the coating/painting/drylining is trapping everything that's already well established. It will solve nothing, just delay the inevitable, while continuing to spread in through your house. If it's a 2 storey house the chances are it may have got to the ceiling joists, rafters, etc through the wall plate. More than likely you've got timber windows but maybe not. You need a good builder to have a look at this, maybe an engineer, etc. It looks like the plaster will certainly have to get taken down as a 1st step, it's at that stage you'll find out what sort of penetration has taken place. Not good me telling you now, but delaying it any further will only add to the whole unfortunate business.

Along with the above, power washing a problem wall will just drive moisture deep into all the faults. Painting a coating over that will just lead to problems.

Thanks for contributions Leo and Noproblem. I had booked a painter who said would have to powerwash to get flaking paint off. The coating company said same but the coating allowed for moisture travel outwards ( and not be trapped in the house as exterior insulation can do they claimed). I managed to slap on silicone on top of window but still water came inside frame in yet another south easterly gale last night but seemed less than previously. Upper windows are mahagony with double glazed panels. Oh dear I had not thought of floor joists/attic.

Last edited:
Back