Radio Interviews And Overuse of "I suppose...."

Lex Foutish

I've noticed over the past few weeks, especially in sports interviews, that many interviewees begin their sentences with the words, "I suppose." A bit like soccer players beginning replies with the word "Obviously."

And the more I look out for it, the more I hear it and the more it drives me nuts!!!!! Listen out for it. Please tell me that I'm not alone.........

(Phew! Thank God for Letting Off Steam!)

The "eh"s and "em"s are worse.

Paul Reynolds, crime correspondent on RTE1 is the worst offender.

I never knew it was possible to cram so many into a single report.

I have to change stations, its either that or crash the car.

There was a young woman on the Joe Show last week who kept saying "you know" at the start, middle and end of sentences. Before the she'd finished her contribution, the presenter (not Joe) was at it.

Anyone see Joseph O'Connor reading out his radio column on Late Late last night? Like, he was great, like. Like, love him.

I was like, in school with him and, like, all the goys talked like that, like.

Like, long before there were all these, like, American sitcoms?

I have to say I like him too, like, not like that, like, obviously, but just, like, like him.

Thats gas! Was just talking about that recently. Its particularly apparent in sports interviews, the answer to a question invariably includes, "Well...obviously...I suppose". Its all I hear now when listening!!!

Another thing I've noticed recently is the use of proper plurals is going out the window on RTE, must be cut-backs!!. "premiums" instead of "premia", "medias" instead of "media" and Christopher McKevitt this morning using "indexes" instead of "indices".

Yes I've noticed the increased use of "I suppose" in interviews. Very annoying! I think it is especially amongst GAA players. I think it is something to do with playing down ones own achievements whilst giving the opposition as much credit as possible. eg " Tipp are a really good team. I suppose we were lucky enough to beat them by 10 points".

Or "I was lucky enough to score that goal I suppose. I suppose the ball just came to me and I just hit it!"

The "eh"s and "em"s are worse.

Paul Reynolds, crime correspondent on RTE1 is the worst offender.

I never knew it was possible to cram so many into a single report.

I have to change stations, its either that or crash the car.
Would be hard to beat Tara Brady eh's and em's!!

Yes I've noticed the increased use of "I suppose" in interviews. Very annoying! I think it is especially amongst GAA players. I think it is something to do with playing down ones own achievements whilst giving the opposition as much credit as possible. eg " Tipp are a really good team. I suppose we were lucky enough to beat them by 10 points".

Or "I was lucky enough to score that goal I suppose. I suppose the ball just came to me and I just hit it!"

I couldn't have put it better myself, Liamos. We had more of it again this weekend in GAA interviews.

And, I've noticed that David Beckham is still getting great use out of the word "obviously." :(

It could be worse. Listen to American news "shows"; you'll hear "Quite unique", "Very unique" and "Awesome" used all over the place. Something is unique or it isn't. Awesome is seeing the Earth from space or looking into the face of your first born child. A goal, a touchdown or a burger/fries/steak/sitcom should never induce awe. If it does you’ve got problems relating to the world around you.

My American one is the overuse of the word "like!"

Fewer things annoy me more than that. And sometimes they don't even do the comparison! They'll just say "I was like....." or, "I was like, O My God!" Figure that one out!!!!!

If they say "I want like, Coke" should you give them Pepsi because it's like Coke, etc? Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

"More proactive", "very proactive", "less proactive", "not proactive enough" - meaningless drivel from illiterates.

Proactive = acting in advance of an event or anticipating it
Reactive = acting after an event of failing to anticipate it
Interactive = taking action in real-time with an event

Would be hard to beat Tara Brady eh's and em's!!

Ok I give up, who is Tara Brady?

And if I decide to take the risk of listening, how do I do so?

I'm worried though, it will end in tears or on an AA Roadwatch report.

Back