Radiators - for kickboards in Kitchen?

A

anon2398

Hi, we're considering the options of extending kitchen v re-doing what we have. We are limited for space in current setup and the radiator takes up one wall of precious space. We are also very limited in money :)

I've heard that you can get radiators that sit along the kickboard of kitchen units. I've done a quick search and haven't found any. Anyone know if these type of rads are available and if so where? I'm assuming that they cost a premium - would I be right?

THanks.

radiators/kickboards

There are skirting board radiators available that might fit in.Don't know who sells them.But as far as I understood they should be run on high temperature to get the necessary heat output.That would make them less economic to run than say radiators but it might be a solution .But it would also warm up the food in your cupboards.Another solution to your problem might be a second radiator,2 smaller ones have a better heating effect than one big one .The best place for a radiator is always under the window(s).That helps to distribute the heat more even.

kickspace radiators

Hi,
Looked into this a little bit a few years ago. You can get ones called Kickspace made by Myson. They can operate on the normal central heating, so must be plumbed in, also need an electric connection for the fan bit. Don't know how effective they are, didn't go with them in the end, plumber said the heat wasn't that effective and they are heavy on electricity (just his opinion though). Plumbing supplier places should have them, anywhere that sells Myson radiators. There may be other brands as well.

Re: kickspace radiators

The best place for a radiator is always under the window(s).

Are you serious? As far as I can remember, experts and energy conservation agencies like the Irish Energy Centre recommend that radiators are placed away from windows to minimise heat loss. Otherwise, the heat just literally runs out the window.

positioning radiators

From [broken link removed]:
Where should radiators be located?
Windows and outside walls will be the coldest surfaces in the house. Cold windows cause downdraughts and uncomfortable conditions for the occupants. To maintain air temperatures and achieve comfortable conditions, radiators should be located under windows to raise the glass temperature and to eliminate cold downdraughts.
Similarly, from the [broken link removed]:
Where do I put my radiators?
Ideally you should try to plan to place them under windows. The heat from the radiators will heat the cold air around the windows and the windows themselves causing a circulation of warm air. Without radiators under windows you can get cold air draughts in your house.
Also, from :
Generally speaking it's best to fit radiators beneath the windows of a room. The reason for this is twofold:
Firstly, cold air falling by the window will be balanced out to some extent by the warm air rising from the radiator. Fitting them on the opposite wall can actually cause a noticeable draught, since warm air rising on one side of the room and cold air falling at the other exaggerates the flow around the room. (There's an illustration on the website.)
Secondly, and purely a practical consideration, is that for the most part, the wall area beneath a window doesn't tend to have furniture in front of it. You therefore make use of unused wall space and, at the same time, do not end up shielding the radiator with a chair or the like.

positioning...

Cobalt got the point.A radiator that won't loose its heat -or one that would be hindered(minimised)-would be useless.To minimise losses through the window the window should be well manufactured and installed.Also the radiator should not close flush with the sill and should be at least 5 cm/ 2 inches away from the wall.There are heat reflecting insulated foils available that can be glued to the wall behind the radiator.These can reduce the loss through the wall considerable.

Back