Racism - sexism - homophobia

Thirsty

Why are these not included in the Askaboutmoney guidelines?

You are free, it would seem, to make any such comments as they do not breach guidelines.

Do you mean you think it is not against the guidelines to post racist, sexist or homophobic comments or that it is NOT OK to discuss racism, sexism, or homophobia as topics?

We don't need posting guidelines on everything.

But the fact that something is not specifically prohibited, does not mean that it is allowed.

Your issue is that you deemed a post sexist. You reported it. It was an offhand comment. The moderators considered it and did not deem it sexist or offensive so your report was rejected.

We get criticised for deleting stuff and we get criticised for not deleting stuff.

We have to make a judgement call on these cases. We see posts we don't like but we tend to leave them.

Brendan

Last edited:
@Brendan - incorrect.

Moderator rejected the report because it was not in breach of guidelines.

I'm not debating the moderators decision; I appreciate they are untrained & can only make decisions in line with the guidelines.

I'm asking why the guidelines do not include the aforementioned.

I believe your comment in relation to murder, rape & the like is what is often referred to as a "strawman" argument.

Incidentially, I posted this in 'Letting off steam' as recommended by moderator & it was moved, presumably by a different moderator!

Thirsty

We are not going to convene a Commission of Inquiry into a post you reported.

You reported a post. The mods looked at it and didn't agree. It was deleted. We did not spend hours drafting and revising the note sent to you rejecting it.

Brendan

I'm asking why the guidelines do not include the aforementioned.

I believe your comment in relation to murder, rape & the like is what is often referred to as a "strawman" argument.

I thought it was very clear. The Guidelines do not cover every eventuality. if someone advocates murder, the post will be deleted. If they argue that there is no prohibition against murder in the Posting Guidelines, it will be ignored.

Brendan

You reported a post. The mods looked at it and didn't agree. It was deleted. We did not spend hours drafting and revising the note sent to you rejecting it.
The reported post was not deleted; it still stands. I repeat, I am not debating the mods decision.

I don't understand the reference to the amount of time spent by moderators in the response; I've not made any comment in that regard.

Again, I would point out that I started this post in Letting Off Steam, which would have allowed some debate or discussion on the topic of guidelines.

I really don't get this.

I'm not debating the mods decision.

I don't understand why you keep referring to it.

I don't understand why my post was moved from Letting off Steam.

But there's much in the Universe that is a mystery & I guess we'll just have to add this one to the list.

If there is one thing I've learnt from being on this forum it is that it is not racist, sexist or homophobic. Neither are any of the posters or moderators. I don't know what post Thirsty is referring to and I am prepared to accept the moderators made a decision that it is not offensive and so it stands.

When we contribute here, not everybody is going to agree with what was said. Such is life and most of us are responsible adults and can take the criticism in a mature way. If you are easily offended or want to be offended this may not be the place for you.

I really don't get this.

I'm not debating the mods decision.

I don't understand why you keep referring to it.

I don't understand why my post was moved from Letting off Steam.

But there's much in the Universe that is a mystery & I guess we'll just have to add this one to the l
Just remembered the comic Dick Emery's saying when I read your post, "Oh, you're awful, but I like you" :p

So Thirsty, can I just clarify that your question has been answered to your satisfaction?

In this thread you asked why we don't have posting guidelines on racism, sexism and homophobia.

I told you that we do not have posting guidelines on every imaginable thing.

There have been very few instances of racism, sexism and homophobia on Askaboutmoney so we don't need posting guidelines for them.

Brendan

We will have to disagree on your last statement.

You may believe such guidelines are not needed.

If mods are allowing such posts to stand on the grounds that they are not in the conflict with the guidelines, then I believe the guidelines need to be updated.

Though if mods don't understand why something is sexist or racist or homophobic; then that's a completely different discussion.

The first two are illegal and have been for a very long time. I’m not sure about the third.

I understand where @Thirsty is coming from.

The boundaries of “acceptable” racism/sexism/homophobia are changing all the time.
Just this morning I heard something on the radio about the 90ies US sitcom “Friends”, and how the modern teenager / twenty-something would balk at some of the content, because some of it is now considered racist/sexist/homophobic, whereas it wouldn’t have been back then.

A few weeks ago I heard the very same being said about “Only Fools and Horses”.

And the line, “they wouldn’t get away with that today”, was trotted out on both occasions.

“The Office” is another prime example. I won’t go into detail, readers will know the scene in question or they won’t, but David Brent made what he thought was a complimentary racist stereotypical comment about a male black colleague.
That scene was 20 years ago. There is no way anyone would make that scene now.
But there are many people that would consider that content complimentary. But because it is discriminatory, it is racist.

But I digress...

I think this forum would benefit from following the suggestion of @Thirsty.
There are more people who are growing tired of Woke nonsense than there are whinging Woke eejits moaning on the internet.

Back