Rabo vs Northern rock - any ideas

i am thinkin of setting up a savings account with these guys but just wanna know if anyone has set up accounts with them before and what their experiences were/are????

I use Northern Rock and never have any problems. I recently tried to use Rabobank to administer my Mum's account with them and found their website really difficult to navigate.

I also use NR on-line and find it a very user friendly and secure site with a great deposit rate for no notice withdrawals compared to the indigenous banks.

From January 4, 2006, Northern Rock's online demand rate will increase to 3.25%.

DrMoriarty said:
Didn't see that one Dr. M. - just managed to catch up on last Sunday's Business Post today and saw the rate increase announcement.

Assuming one has more than €1000 in savings then one can open an account with both institutions and then just juggle the money between them as the respective rates change. You just need to keep at least €1000 in NR and at least €1 in Rabo for this to work and to keep the two accounts open simultaneously.

I'm an NR client myself, but I must say I like the way Rabo facilitates the setting up of an online a/c on behalf of a minor... a slick piece of marketing that (AFAIK?) NR hasn't yet caught onto... (sorry for the sloppy grammar! ;) )

Was wondering what the hell to get our (wonderful) 16-yr-old for Chrimbo, and have just opened an account for her there with a modest opening balance — just enough for me to present it to her on the 25th and have the satisfaction of watching her eyes pop open, but then also, later, give her the paternalistic old spiel about how she can 'spend this whenever she wants, or leave it alone/top it up and watch it grow'... (well, just about keep pace with inflation, actually, but hey..! :eek:)

Also gives her (wonderful) mother plenty of ammo for the looming battle over why she (the daughter, not the mother!) can't go out and get a part-time job during the school year.

Am I devious, or just devious..?

Back