Rabo "sell out your friends" spam!

As a rabo customer I'm not impressed. Yes, I also signed up for email notifications from Rabo, but I didn't sign up to do their marketing and sales for them.

FFS lads... Is this the worst spam you have ever gotten? Ill take the 20 pints off them.

If you're not not happy why not;
a) Delete the mail
b) Send to Junkmail
c) Unsubscribe
d) All of the above

Considering you did subscribe to the email in the first place.

As regards fraud, if you choose to bank online with an ONLINE bank then you should posses the common sense not to send confidential info via email and even for those without the knowledge they have a security policy in writing to educate.

Its a gimmick, like any other one... get over it.

ClubMan said:
Talking about how irresponsible and puerile the campaign is - hardly a good thing? I've also decided to reduce my balance to the minimum €1 (from the mere €100 that I had with them - my Northern Rock account offers better rates anyway), have unsubscribed from their email notification channel (which I would have expected to be for useful information rather than spam campaigns like this), have tied up one of their staff for at least a couple of hours dealing with my complaints about this matter and will not be recommending them to anybody else. Maybe my negative reaction to this campaign will be in the minority. If so, so be it.

I, for one admire your stance clubman

Garrettod said:
I fear this may be the start of our "straight talking bank" taking a little more profit from us :(
The "straight talking bank" also had misleading information about competitor's interest rates on their website which they only qualified with some explanatory footnotes when I complained to them and IFSRA about it and they changed the website. They listed "Interest rates in Ireland" on their home page but omitted better offers (albeit with other terms & conditions such as higher than €1 minimum balances) such as from Northern Rock. They eventually qualified their list with the following caveat:
RaboDirect Savings Comparison Table

This table shows the actual interest you will earn in 1 year from RaboDirect and the other main Irish banks. These institutions were chosen as they have similar savings account conditions to RaboDirect such as no minimum amount, no minimum term & no penalties.

I know I am a few months late on this one but i only saw the post now while looking for something else.

Why is everyone out to get Rabobank? I think they are great and offer great interest rates. I have a deposit account with them and I say fair play to them and to Northern Rock for bringing competition to the market and trying to shake up BOI and AIB who take all our money happily but give us back interest rates of 0.25%.

I loved the ad campaign about selling out your matesand the other amusing ones they run. A bit of humour and imagination are good things. If you don't like the e-mail then do as Itchy says:

If you're not not happy why not;
a) Delete the mail
b) Send to Junkmail
c) Unsubscribe
d) All of the above

Clubman,
How does this work ? Rabo pay 5% on first Eur 10k right ? Do NR have an account paying more than that ?
This issue dates back to early 2006 and has been overtaken by events. Rabo's offer of 5% on €10K was enough for me to get over my annoyance at their "spam". As Groucho Marx once said - "those are my principles and if you don't like them then I have others"! :D

Looks like there bring back their refer a friend offer!! [broken link removed] Now to find 5 friends :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Has anyone actually recieved their €20 for 'inviting' someone to open a rabo account?
I know of 2 people who have opened Rabo accounts using the promotional codes generated by the email sent via the Rabo site by me, and neither I or the other 2 people have recieved the €20.

Not yet but the two new accounts have not been activated as the initial PINs for the Digipass are still in the post.

hi i got my 20 quid from my friend about a week ago, i told her to refer my boyf so she can get it now! ah well better in our accounts than rabos! easiest 20 quid i've every got.

agree with pc7: easiest €20 i've ever got

have had family members & friends open accounts - are all now earning 5% interest on an account they got paid to open - far better than the fraction of a % that was on offer from the traditional irish banks until the likes of rabo & northern rock entered the market.
their marketing campaign may be a bit brash but i don't see a security risk with it as they dont ask for bank acc details and any info is given on their secure website. same as with ryanair: if you don't like a bargain you can always get a worse deal elsewhere!

(if anyone wants the email offer then pm me as i have a few to spare)

The title of this thread should be changed

Can I request that the title of this thread be changed. The most recent posters are referring to the legitimate "Member-Get-Member" programme. The use of the term "spam" in the title is misleading and inappropriate. It also implies that we are in breach of Data Protection regulations which is not the case.

RaboDirect

Fair enough — but I don't agree with "Member-Get-Member". We're not members of RaboDirect, we're customers.

Would you be happy with 'Rabo "sell out your friends" direct marketing scheme'?

This is clearly spam which as I understand it is unwanted commercial email ?

I got this from Rabobank and I did not appreciate it.

If Rabobank don't want to be accused of spamming, then they should stop spamming people.

Brendan
Admimistrator
askaboutmoney.com

I do not know why they are worrying. Almost 4K people have read this and that is a lot of free publicity.
If this keeps up they will not need to spam anyone.

This is clearly spam which as I understand it is unwanted commercial email ?

I got this from Rabobank and I did not appreciate it.

If Rabobank don't want to be accused of spamming, then they should stop spamming people.

Brendan
Admimistrator
askaboutmoney.com

People opt in to receiving electronic communications from RaboDirect, ie, ezines and eflashes. We do not send unsolicited email to people. Recipients to our communications can unsubscribe from receiving further communications. The key point here is that people have made a decision to receive communications from us and as a commercial entity it is not unreasonable to expect to receive commercial messages.

Spam relates to emails and text messages that are unsolicited and often when recipients have been included on to databases without their permission. It is often difficult to remove yourself from receiving further communications.

Brendan, you may not like the email you received - fair enough. You can unsubscribe from receiving further comms or just delete the mail which you presumably did. However, it is incorrect to call it 'spam' and you should withdraw this comment in the interest of accuracy and fairness.

RaboDirect

Spam relates to emails and text messages that are unsolicited and often when recipients have been included on to databases without their permission. It is often difficult to remove yourself from receiving further communications.

Brendan, you may not like the email you received - fair enough. You can unsubscribe from receiving further comms or just delete the mail which you presumably did. However, it is incorrect to call it 'spam' and you should withdraw this comment in the interest of accuracy and fairness.

RaboDirect

I think Brenadan is quite right in what he has said. I recently asked for a loan via RaboDirect (Credit Line I think) and I have started to get spam.

I feel Rabodirect may like to note most ppl do not pay much attention to the small print and in my case I have got at least 3 emails from RaboDirect in under 7 days to my 'work' email address which was only used for a loan application which was actually REFUSED so I am not a RaboDirect customer so in my view it is spam

I think Brenadan is quite right in what he has said. I recently asked for a loan via RaboDirect (Credit Line I think) and I have started to get spam.

I feel Rabodirect may like to note most ppl do not pay much attention to the small print and in my case I have got at least 3 emails from RaboDirect in under 7 days to my 'work' email address which was only used for a loan application which was actually REFUSED so I am not a RaboDirect customer so in my view it is spam

Onlineprint, you chose to deliberately opt into receiving communications. I tried to include a screen print of the ezine/eflash sign up page from the Credit Account application process but it didn't work here. The unformatted text version is below:

"We'd like to keep you informed about our special offers and what's happening at RaboDirect through our monthly eZine and occasional eFlashes.

[] If you don't want us to contact you, please tick this box.

Remember, if you do choose to receive our eZine and eFlashes, you can unsubscribe at any time by clicking on the 'Unsubscribe' function in these communications.

[] From time to time, we'd like to inform you about products or services offered by other entities in the Rabobank group. If you don't want to receive this information please tick this box.

[] If you don't want to receive straight talking text messages to your mobile phone, please tick this box.

This part of the application process is very clearly titled "Keeping you informed". You must deliberately tick the boxes to receive communications. The actual formatted version on the application form does not try to hide or mislead people. Obviously we will use the email address provided when you opt into receiving communications. Some people prefer to use non-work addresses for this type of communications such as gmail, hotmail etc.

Customers and non-customers can subscribe to communications. It's not a prerequisite to be a customer.

Again we reiterate that you can unsubscribe from receiving communications - the unsubscribe option is included in every ezine or eflash or you can do so directly on our website.

Also, the heading of opt-in section clearly refers to the fact that you are choosing to opt in to receiving information about special offers etc - commercial messages. We are very upfront about this.

Back