Rabo Direct Investment Account

L

legaleagle6

I've just set up a Rabo Direct account and I plan on investing on a monthly basis in the Funds that they offer.

Anyone have any advice on what Funds I should look to put my money into and the breakdown between Funds? I am planning on investing €150 monthly for the next 2/3 years.

Thanks all.

Why not invest in Quinn Life funds and avail of lower charges?

versus [broken link removed].

There are also other fund providers with lower charges than Rabo.

Clubman, you're like a broken record with regards to Rabo and their fees. Everytime someone asks a question in anyway related to Rabo, you tell them that that their fees are too high. The poster asked a specific question of which funds might be best to invest in, not "do you think Rabo funds are too high".
To the OP the only advice I would give would be to pick a diverse selection of funds. Maybe some of the riskier ones such as china, India, a few less risky funds, some bond funds, some commodities and maybe some mixed funds.

Clubman, you're like a broken record with regards to Rabo and their fees. Everytime someone asks a question in anyway related to Rabo, you tell them that that their fees are too high.
Obviously not every poster reads every other thread and the issue of fees is quite pertinent to queries such as this. If you don't like my posts then see my signature. :rolleyes:

To continue the broken record theme - it's also fair to point out that Quinn Life offer index funds which are passively managed and RaboDirect funds are all actively managed funds, the majority of which have independent ratings from Morningstar or Standard & Poor's.

Fees (and their transparency) are obviously a very important point for the potential investor. But when assessing a provider one should also consider the total offering, ie, fund range, diversification opportunities, online access, reporting, ratings, whether or not financial advice is offered (we don't) etc etc.

Obviously not every poster reads every other thread and the issue of fees is quite pertinent to queries such as this. If you don't like my posts then see my signature. :rolleyes:

Eh

Without wanting to take the entire thread off topic, your signature ain't working mate ;)

So have you any intention of responding to the specific question the OP asked or did you just come to this thread with the sole intention of bashing Rabo?

Eh

Without wanting to take the entire thread off topic, your signature ain't working mate ;)
It is.

So have you any intention of responding to the specific question the OP asked or did you just come to this thread with the sole intention of bashing Rabo?
I have addressed part of the question - the original poster might want to look at the funds provided by a lower charging fund provider. I don't really have an answer to the question about what mix to go for because it really depends on many details (e.g. attitude to risk/volatility, other debts/savings/investments, how fixed the 2/3 year timeframe is likely to be etc.) that are not clarified by the original poster.

To continue the broken record theme...
Funny how The Dude is keen to criticise my broken record but not this one (to which I have no objection by the way). :rolleyes:

There's still an exit fee of 0.75% and an annual management fee of between 0.7% and 2.0%.

Fees (and their transparency) are obviously a very important point for the potential investor. But when assessing a provider one should also consider the total offering, ie, fund range, diversification opportunities, online access, reporting, ratings, whether or not financial advice is offered (we don't) etc etc.

Hi RaboDirect,

Reflecting on your experience of charging 0% entry & 0.75% exit fees this month, is it possible that you could afford to make this permanent? Your website suggests that you can in some circumstances take a cut of the yearly management fee and thus potentially recoup some of the "loss" of not charging an entry fee. This would certainly enhance the attractiveness of RaboDirect going forward.

It is a shame that you can't deduct tax at source, but your calculator is eagerly awaited!

Don't get it - is the signature the smily face with two eyes open and if it is what does it signify?

certainly, if you're buying to hold (thus exit charges only come into play as a once off) the may offer makes rabo very competitive i feel, given the choice of funds. the annual charges are similar to quinn in many respects e.g. for emerging markets ql charge 1.5% p.a. and some of the rabo funds only charge 1.2% for these markets. I guess if you just want a standard irish or european type exposure, QL is probably you're best bet, but if you're looking for some exposure to commodities, property and more exotic markets i think there's definitely a place for rabo. Btw Rabo, well done on the no exit charges offer for May - twas super :D

Hi RaboDirect,

Reflecting on your experience of charging 0% entry & 0.75% exit fees this month, is it possible that you could afford to make this permanent? Your website suggests that you can in some circumstances take a cut of the yearly management fee and thus potentially recoup some of the "loss" of not charging an entry fee. This would certainly enhance the attractiveness of RaboDirect going forward.

It is a shame that you can't deduct tax at source, but your calculator is eagerly awaited!

We do take a small trailer fee from the annual management fee but it's pretty small. The annual management fees are set by the fund manager so our trail fee doesn't result in a higher price than if you bought the fund directly from the fund manager.

By eliminating the entry fees completely we would be foregoing 50% of the transaction costs which is a very large drop. The rationale for dropping the entry fees for May was of course to encourage people to purchase funds in the post SSIA environment and this coupled with the minimum €100 investment amount lowers the barriers to entry for investors. Naturally we keep our pricing under continual review and the question arises - if we dropped our entry fees completely would this lead to a substantial increase in volume that would justify the revenue foregone. Our crystal ball hasn't come up with an answer just yet on that one!

We do take a small trailer fee from the annual management fee but it's pretty small. The annual management fees are set by the fund manager so our trail fee doesn't result in a higher price than if you bought the fund directly from the fund manager.

By eliminating the entry fees completely we would be foregoing 50% of the transaction costs which is a very large drop. The rationale for dropping the entry fees for May was of course to encourage people to purchase funds in the post SSIA environment and this coupled with the minimum €100 investment amount lowers the barriers to entry for investors. Naturally we keep our pricing under continual review and the question arises - if we dropped our entry fees completely would this lead to a substantial increase in volume that would justify the revenue foregone. Our crystal ball hasn't come up with an answer just yet on that one!

Hi,

Thank you for replying.

I would imagine that you could gain some insight into the fees question by seeing if there is a statistically significant increase in contributions to your "fund of the month" over other funds, and also the impact of your May '07 "no entry fees" promotion. My gut feeling is that people are incentivised by the "fund of the month". It could be harder call on the May promo due to SSIA money sloshing around!

I currently like the idea of a monthly investment (other than pension) of smallish amounts of money. To this end, with the help of AAM, I see Rabo, Quinn, and Eagle Star as contenters. Quinn offer trackers, but now with a good range of options and no fees beyond low yearly management fees. This is good! I would imagine they are doing well. Eagle Star (via execution only broker and 7.5k Eur upfront) offer a wide range of trackers and active funds for a low management fee, but some exit penalties on a sliding scale for the first five years. Rabo offer an interesting range of active funds, a decent interface, but seeming rather high fees. I do feel from reading AAM (and also my personal view) that people like the range of Rabo funds, but that the fees are a real issue.

Since Rabodirect are competitive on deposit accounts, it would seem that you have the appetite to be extremely competitive. I can see that it would be difficult for you to remove all exit and entry fees for active funds (although I'd imagine you might have some leverage with Robeco, a part of Rabo bank [I believe]). [Aside: I suppose you could investigate introducing a few passive index trackers with no entry/exit fees and see how it works out.]

Back to your existing fund selection: Assuming that the "fund of the month" works well, I guess you could hypothetically look at something like 0.5% entry, 0.5% exit for Eur 100 - Eur 500 purchases of one fund, dropping to 0.25% entry, 0.5% exit for "fund of the month", and then 0.25% entry, 0.5% exit for amounts of Eur 500+, dropping to 0% entry, 0.5% exit for "fund of the month" for Eur 500+. I am not sure what ClubMan would consider to be a good deal (perhaps he could comment), but something like this would be a lot more attractive to me! The lower your fees, the more likely (my guess) that people will buy to hold (as mentioned by gravitygirl above), the less churn, and the more you will make on management fees as the fund holding grows! It would be nice to see you somewhat competitive with ETFs etc. I would potentially be a risky move, but Irish people seem to be getting more picky about fees!

On the tax issue (which keeps getting mentioned), a simple calculator that is initially targeted at (a) Self Employed and (b) PAYE worker that presents "this is what you enter ... on this Revenue form available here ... in these fields" would make things clear for most. Some worked examples might help.

Cheers!

some good ideas there matrix! however i think rabo seem to set themselves up as an investment solution for the novice/small time investor (not to say they don't attract larger investors too) so offering lower fees to those who invest more than €500 a time might not go down well with those who have joined rabo because of the minimum €100 payment. also such a scheme may take away from rabo's 'regular investor' product, and encourage people to save up for a few months till they have €500 rather than put in an automatic €150 a month say. obviously such a reduction in fees would be great news for us though :D

QL operate a system whereby fees are reduced after a certain period of investing with them - perhaps rabo might operate a similar structure in the future; say after 5 years investing with rabo, entry fees fall to 0.25% or the like?

As matrix said, the range of funds with rabo is certainly to be commended and the fees are reasonable by many other banks' products, i guess the type of people who hang out at AAm (myself included ;)) are just always seeing where we can save a few cent ;)

I would prefer to see the exit fees dropping for longer term investments than the entry fees.

Dropping the entry fees for one fund per month is a good promo tactic.

Club - if you don't like them then don't buy them.

However, there is no point comparing an apple with an orange and saying that one is dearer than the other.

Back