Quoting self-employed travel/mileage rates?

ButtermilkJa

I've been asked by a client to quote for a site visit. This involves travelling to the site, 1 hours work on-site, and returning back to my office. I'm self-employed and work from home so do I charge an hourly rate for the length of time I'm out of the office, plus a mileage rate for use of my private car?

Example: I have to travel 100km. It takes me 2 hours each way...
2 hours travel + 1 hour (on-site) + 2 hours travel = 5 hours x hourly rate
100km each way = 200km x mileage rate

Does this sound reasonable?

Yes I think this sounds reasonable to me. You might want to base the mileage rate on the revenue rates [broken link removed]

I guess you also need to consider the context of what the site visit is for.

For example if it is to meet for a proposal to undertake business on an ongoing relationship you could say that if you win the work then you will refund the cost of the visit but if you don't then you will charge them for it.

Matt

[broken link removed]

I like your blog better biz. its very good. are you a management consultant or what do you do ? sorry for taking over thread !:eek:

Yes I think this sounds reasonable to me. You might want to base the mileage rate on the revenue rates [broken link removed]

I guess you also need to consider the context of what the site visit is for.

For example if it is to meet for a proposal to undertake business on an ongoing relationship you could say that if you win the work then you will refund the cost of the visit but if you don't then you will charge them for it.

Matt

[broken link removed]
Cheers, yeah I based those mileage rates on the revenue ones alright. I already have the business from the client (regular site visits) so this was just to get a figure together that we'd both be happy with.

Thanks again!

Back