quotes for a fitted kitchen in a new build: varying 20-28k, does this sound right?

StevenC

Hi,

My partner has been getting quotes for a fitted kitchen in a new build and I am amazed at some of the quotes. She would like a cream colour kitchen with an island, larder press, a dresser, belfast sink, a planter over the island, a small utility area and possibly a granite counter top. The quotes we've been getting are varying from 20 to 28k, does this sound right? I cannot understand how a kitchen could cost so much!!

Re: Kitchen Price

Hi,

My partner has been getting quotes for a fitted kitchen in a new build and I am amazed at some of the quotes. She would like a cream colour kitchen with an island, larder press, a dresser, belfast sink, a planter over the island, a small utility area and possibly a granite counter top. The quotes we've been getting are varying from 20 to 28k, does this sound right? I cannot understand how a kitchen could cost so much!!

Sounds like quite a kitchen. Maybe it would be best to go to a cash and carry kitchen place buy your own kitchen and install it yourself or get a chippie to do it for you that`ll save you thousands.

Having designed, made (from scratch), spray painted and installed kitchens myself I think the prices for what you`ve described are quite reasonable. I`d have been in the middle of the price range myself.

Don't they say that granite worktops can double the cost of a kitchen??

If you go to In House do your homework thoroughly at another branch, know the exact names and sizes of all units,doors, worktops, fittings and accesories you need. Write it all down on a piece of cardboard, sprinkle a bit of sawdust on yourself then with a pencil behind your ear and a tapemeasure on your belt go to the trade counter, but be warned if you don't know what you are looking for you will be sent back to the public counter. The secret is do your homework. You will also need the use of, or a friend with a van. I got 30% off the list price, assembled and fitted the kitchen and after paying a plumber and electrician, my overall saving was over 50%.

Granite worktops at B&Q are only provided if you use their installation service.

Not only do you not have to go with their installation guys for your worktop, you must buy one of their kitchens in order to purchase the Speeedstone Granite - I was really disappointed about that. I thought the b&q kitchens looked great in the catalogue and were plastic fantastic in real life. But those worktops were to die for and 1/3 price of "solid" granite.

Re: quotes for a fitted kitchen in a new build: varying 20-28k, does this sound right

We got quotes for our kitchen from 20-40K. Cream kitchens, factory painted (not hand painted---major extra cost) are generally a good bit more expensive. It all depends on the number of cabinets you have, not just granite. Try using a mix of solid wood work tops with a bit of granite....looks better in our opinion! Also, our kitchen people are sorting out all the appliances too...saves us a lot of hassle trudging through D.I.D!! They will do up all the lighting and plumbing plans too! Your quote sound very reasonable....

Re: quotes for a fitted kitchen in a new build: varying 20-28k, does this sound right

Yeah, prices are probably accurate enough. There have been plenty of posts on this on the past...............lots of people will tell you that €20k + is crazy for a kitchen.......but again like everything, it totally depends on what your looking for, material type, amount of cabinets, finishes etc etc. For instance my kitchen is handmade, sprayed cream, a good mixture of diverse cabinets with flush mounted doors, granite worktops, utility done as well and a large island unit with a beech worktop - total cost €19k

Roundy# thats a great price for a hand made kitchen with flush mounted doors, can you pm the details.

The price depends on what you want, hand made is generally very expensive, where if you go to a kitchen supplier then you should expect to pay from 8k plus, from looking around myself again it seems that suppliers have increased there prices to compensate for the slow down in business

Doesnt sound too unreasonable for what you are asking for. Granite costs approx €1k per sq metre so that automatically adds a large portion - it would have cost us an extra 5k to get granite so we had to compromise & do without. Also you are getting both kitchen & utility done.

Our kitchen and utility room was €7k for a solid walnut kitchen.
If we had gone for the island and granite we would have been looking at €19k.

So the prices above don't sound unreasonable.

Our kitchen (solid oak shaker, excluding appliances) is €6.5K including island. Granite would be approx €3K extra - but we're going for laminate for now.

Not meaning to be pedantic or anything but a kitchen can be anything in size from 100 sq ft to 600 sq ft and asking for a price for a "kitchen" is like asking for a "good length" of rope.
solid is more than MDF
Granite as outlined above
Belfast sink is more again.

I think 20-28k would be in the ball park but haggle a little in todays market and you'd be amazed at how much you get off.

I got quoted 8000 for kitchen and utility in oak or ash with all included except appliances. Shop around - 26K is quite high.

And a painted solid will be even more.

We are in the same boat right now. Have been looking at both italian and german quite modern style kitchens and also at the more tradional hand painted type. It is a reasonable large kitchen(but not huge) with island and granite worktops. We have not had any quote less than 25k and have even been quoted up to 45k. I would love to know where people are getting solid wood kitchens for 6K?

Hi StephenC

We are also getting quotes for kitchens and we've been told anything from 20 - 50 K depending on what we put in there.

It is a big kitchen mind, with an island. I still think that it's too much - we reckon about 25K not including applicences is about the figure... is this too much?

ours kitchen units were 19 feet long by 12 feet wide (wall and floor units), and island 6 feet by 3 with quartz worktop/splashback and good quality solid oak doors with MDF carcass came to 11.5K, appliance came to 5K (A rated). unless you kitchen is being hand made expect to pay 25K plus but if you are going with an ordinary kitchen fitters then you would be ripped off to pay anything over 15K..shop around, even go outside your county and have a look at quotes, you'd be surprised how often you would get someone who will travel. The company who delivered my worktops travelled and hour and half to deliver/install them, no extra charge

Hi StephenC

We are also getting quotes for kitchens and we've been told anything from 20 - 50 K depending on what we put in there.

It is a big kitchen mind, with an island. I still think that it's too much - we reckon about 25K not including applicences is about the figure... is this too much?

Sounds about right. After reading through all the posts and getting various quotes for oursleves 20k was the best deal we could get without appliances.

go to ikea you will have to sit down when the guy in the shop presses the totao for all button

Back