Quote for Solar panels

Dublingirl10

I’m looking for advice on a quote for solar panels. We’ve been quoted a bit over €6,500 for 8 solar panels, no diverter and no battery. 50% deposit and 50% due on day of installation.
We live in Dublin.
Is that a good quote?
Not sure about a diverter. Have people got that and what’s the advantage of getting one?
Thanks so much.

Have a look on the FB groups about issues given deposits too certain companies and running into major issues after.

I have 8 panels with a south west orientation, only installed end of August last year. Delighted with it so far and looking forward to brighter days. I installed a hybrid inverter in the event I decide to install a battery later. i didn’t bother with an eddi as i dont use hot water on a daily basis ( electric showers).. I also installed a zappi, panels are jinko 430. Inverter was huawei. had to pay all of the cost upfront which was a risk , definitely go on Irish solar group on Facebook lots of information there. Best of luck.

Hello,

That looks too expensive, tbh.

As mentioned above, join the Irish Solar Owners Group, on FB. There's a wealth of really good information there, it's almost as good as this website is, for financial info.

When you join, all about a list that a guy called Cormac has put together, of various installers offering systems for under €5k, people will link you to it - he's very good known there.

A couple of quick points, if I may:

* Get as many panels as you can afford, they tend to run in the €300-€400 per unit range, depending on specifics.

* Get a Hybrid Inverter, even if you don't plan to get a battery, or a charger for a EV now, and don't want an Eddi, to get water. It leaves both options open to you, for later on.

* Huawei is a well regarded make, and comes with some additional benefits, but is expensive, compared to other established makes. If you get a Huawei Inverter, you'll have to get Huawei components on the future, such as a battery, and again, that'll be more expensive, albeit also has benefits.

* Do not pay a 50% deposit, a couple of installation companies have gone bust in the last while, leaving people with no come back, and having lost thousands. Most established installers will have flexibility. I paid a 20% deposit approx 1 month before instalation, with remaining 80% after all works were completed, for example. Also, where possible, pay the deposit by credit card, as it gives an element of protection, if something goes wrong.

Last edited:
What would be a more reasonable quote?
As a rule of thumb about €1100 per kwp after grant. Having said that the smaller the system the harder that is to make due to pretty much the same labour to get up on the roof for a small system or a larger one.

Just to say that the €6,500 quote is before grant. After deducting the grant, it would be around €4,500. Is it still too much?

Airtricity quoted me 14.5k for 8 panels + battery and a couple of other minor things. Didn't take them up on the offer as it struck us as excesive. Note that was ex VAT, something to bear in mind on any quote you get

Airtricity quoted me 14.5k for 8 panels + battery and a couple of other minor things. Didn't take them up on the offer as it struck us as excesive. Note that was ex VAT, something to bear in mind on any quote you get
No vat on solar installations (maybe on the battery I’m not sure on that )

Just to say that the €6,500 quote is before grant. After deducting the grant, it would be around €4,500. Is it still too much?
I assumed it was after grant, my bad. 4.5k after grant while better would still be on the higher side so perhaps keep looking for better value.

Back