Quinn Freeway

Its quite ok- just my personal opinion
I'd have a split as follows

40% euro
20 % celtic
15% US
15% japan
10% UK

either way, i'd have aprox 60% 0r 2/3ths in euro denominated funds, and i'd have the remaining 40% or so spead across at least 2 non- euro currencies, not one non euro currency only; rem dollar has depreciated by ?30% in last few years against the euro for example.

Just curious. Why have you excluded all other asset classes(other than equities) from your investment?

Sorry Kruger as stated earlier I am novice at this. Afraid I don't understand what you mean here. Surely I am splitting country funds rather than asset types here. I don't have the choice

Sorry now I get the gist of what you mean. Because I am going long term 20+ yrs with this fund I felt that I should go with the higher risk options at this stage.

I guess I am in a similar situation.

My Quinn Life SSIA expires this month and I am considering my options. This is my plan and I would appreciate any comments or advice. I'm aware that you cant predict the markets. My aim is to have a balanced fund with no major exposure to any one particular market:

-continue to keep €20K of my SSIA invested in the Quinn life Euro Freeway fund as I have for the last 5 years.

-increase my monthly contribution to €500 per month and invest it using the following breakdown:

20% Celtic freeway
20% UK
20% Japan
20% Emerging markets
10% US
10% China

I decided not to include the Euro freeway in this mix because I feel I am already exposed to this market enough with my €20K lump sum.

I decided not to put more than 20% towards the Celtic freeway as I feel I am exposed enough to the Irish market with an investment property here.

All comments and advice appreciated.

Last edited:
Lotus, looking at replies to my query earlier it would also appear that you are way over exposed to non euro zones. That is why I readjusted my allocation to take account of this.

Thanks Happy Girl for response.

I thought having lump sum of €20K invested in Euro freeway and then 20% of my savings going forward invested in Celtic was OK.......

..........maybe I am over exposed to currency risk though...........was thinking of going with the breakdown I laid out in my first post for a year or 2 and then re-evaluating.............Any thoughts?

I think I will chance the investment split I have outlined in my post on this thread...........it seems to be pretty balanced and after that I guess equities are luck of the draw.............

Anyone have any final advice before I sign up?!

To add more percentages !!
I took the SSIA from Quinn (50% Celtic/Euro) when it paid out Jan/07 and rolled the whole amount back into Quinn funds. This time with a more diverse spread;
BioTechnology 5%
China 30%
Emerging Markets 10%
Euro 30%
Celtic 25%

Then with the dip at the end of Feb I got tempted to put some savings in. I wouldn't say that this will definitely prove to be the wisest move I've ever made but we'll wait and see, and medium term I can afford to leave the money there and wait out any bumpy graphs. Here's hoping anyhow.

China 25%
Emerging Markets 25%
Euro 50%

Watching the China daily percentage in/decreases takes a bit of getting used to though !

Last edited:
Just completing form for Freeway and now making my final allocation. Based on all the foregoing advice and information (for which I am most grateful) I have allocated as follows:
Euro Fund 40%,
Celtic 30%,
UK 15%
US 15%.

Any other suggestions/comments before I sign on the dotted line and post off.
Go to a discount broker,
they will give you a 103.5% allocation rate
and 1% management fees
with some of the other insurance companies, that offer the same sort of products.

Go to a discount broker,
they will give you a 103.5% allocation rate
and 1% management fees
with some of the other insurance companies, that offer the same sort of products.
Am I missing something? The terms outlined above are not mentioned on that page.

and also I believe those offers refer to single premium policies only, rather than regular contributions.

Am I missing something? The terms outlined above are not mentioned on that page.
You know about discount brokers and what they offer.

"In general our service will result in an enhancement in the region of 3 to 5% of the amount invested in the form of an increased allocation of units, an increased allocation rate, or a reduced annual management charge, which will be clearly stated on your policy document."

Not very user friendly. How do I activate discount code?
You have to choose your policy and then contact them.

and also I believe those offers refer to single premium policies only, rather than regular contributions.
The op is talking about a single premium

Back