Quick question on Salary

M

maevis1

Hi,

Just wondering if someone could shed some light on the following question.

I have recetly switched from being an houly paid employee to a salary based employee. My question is that for a Bank holiday how much is allocated to that day if worked. That is what extra pay will be included that week for the bank holiday (assuming it is worked.) In the past my hours worked on a bank holiday were simply doubled.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Hi mavis,

This is how we do it in my company. We take your yearly salary and divide by 52.18 to convert your yearly salary to a weekly wage. We then divide the weekly wage by the standard number of hours you are contracted to work in a week (usually 39). This is the hourly rate and for a Bank holiday you get double time.

Hope this helps.

ajapale

ORGANISATION OF WORKING TIME ACT, 1997

Entitlements of employees in respect of a public holiday
3.3 In respect of a public holiday the employee is entitled to whichever of the
following his/her employer determines:

a) a paid day off on that day
b) a paid day off within a month of that day
c) an additional day of annual leave

d) an additional day’s pay.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: ORGANISATION OF WORKING TIME ACT, 1997

Thank you both, that was exactly what I was looking for.

Regards,

Re: ORGANISATION OF WORKING TIME ACT, 1997

Incidently Maevis,The Organisation of working time act only specifies the legal minimum. Most people enjoy better. There would also be other factors in your case that may give you an entitlement to more, for example
1 What do other people in the company get for working a bank holiday (discrimination)
2 Did you sign a new contract of Employment when going on salary & what did that say about overtime Ect. (Terms of employment)
3 Did you get a payrise when transferred to Salary & is this sufficent to cover any possible loss of overtime ect.

My question is that for a Bank holiday how much is allocated to that day if worked. That is what extra pay will be included that week for the bank holiday (assuming it is worked.) In the past my hours worked on a bank holiday were simply doubled.

Be careful to distinguish between bank and public holidays which are not always the same thing. See the and the DETE Employment Rights sites for more information.

What does your contract of employment say about your pay and conditions in this context and how has it been changed in moving from hourly pay to salary?

Back