Quick question on being made redundant

S

shnaek

I got my notice here that me and 5 others are being let go as they are outsourcing to India. We got 30 days notice by law so that they can make an effort to find us other employment. Which we have been told isn't there anyway. Then we got 28 days redundancy notice. All of this is legal and not of the companies good intent.
My question is this - I have been spending my days upskilling and fixing my cv etc. but I get the distinct feeling I am about to be asked to do some work.
What is my position here? Should I do a little to help them out? I currently feel a tremendous wave of apathy wash over me. What do ye think?

The purpose of formal notice is simply to alert to the fact that your redundancy is pending. The law dictates the minimum period of notice that can be given.

Notice of redundancy effectively states that after a certain date, ther will be no work for you. However, until the expiry of this date, it is assumed that you can be asked to work as normal.

In some cases, where there is already no work, staff are not required to present themselves for the period of notice but this isn't an entitlement.

www.entemp.ie/employment/...q4.htm#red

Re: ..

You'll have to decide the moral issue yourself I think. Were you planning on getting a good reference out of them?

Re: ..

They don't give references here, they only confirm the length of time you worked for them.

I think these guys are getting our jobs:

Re: ..redundo

get contact details for a manager/super that will give you a ref later - this is important

you can give his name etc as ex manager of the company

it will much better than a vanilla one from the company

c

Cheers for that. Just chatted one of the proj managers here and they'll give me a ref no probs.

Good
Dont lose contact with the PM (get a another spare just in case)
You MUST have a reference from your last job

Now talk to the rest there and compile a contact list from those that are interested (this is not for social reason)

Then keep in contact - thats how jobs are got, many times the first in the door at a new company will open it up for more
This can be more important than recruitment agencies or the job ads

Also, If you can afford it, stuff your pension as it may be a while before you are in a position to contribute again

c 0]

Back