Questions about tax payment on dividend income for PAYE taxpayer

JMG

Hi.

I have a few hundred Euro of non-PAYE income from dividends - Irish, UK and US shares. Some of the shares are held by an Irish broker - Davy (Irish, UK and US shares) and some of the shares are held by US broker.

I have some questions about tax treatment of dividends in relation to this income, and I hope someone here can help me. I have searched through AAM for information on payment of tax on dividend income, but couldn't find the answers - or perhaps the answers were there and I didn't understand them.

My questions:

1. When is the tax due on dividend income. So for example if I received €500 dividend income in 2017, do I have until Oct 31 2018 (or Nov 14 for online filing - I'm doing online) to pay the tax?
  2. For the US and UK shares that are held by Davy for me as far as I can see the dividend payments appear on the income statement that Davy provide online. Do I just take the Euro amount Davy provides for each share on which dividends were paid (whether Irish, UK or US shares) total it all up and plug it into the appropriate fields on the Form 12?
  3. For the shares held by US broker, tax has been deduced at 15% by the US broker. However, for Form 12, I assume I enter the gross dividend amount (i.e. before 15% tax deducted) and Revenue will automatically take the 15% withheld into account?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Q1. Yes
Q2. You have to report the dividend income by jurisdiction so
Gross dividends from Irish Resident companies here
upload_2018-11-5_12-36-54.png

Net dividends from UK companies here
upload_2018-11-5_12-38-3.png

and US dividends here
upload_2018-11-5_12-34-0.png

Q3. see above - the Form 12 seems quite clear on how to report dividend income

Reactions: JMG
Thanks very much jpd, I appreciate the fast reply and the effort taken. Very helpful.

So in the case of US dividends, I report both the total (gross amount) and the amount of tax withheld (i.e. in "foreign tax deducted ..." box). Straightforward in the case of shares held by US broker, in case of US shares held by Davy, I'll have to do a little more work to work out the gross since I think Davy only list the income after tax.

For U.S. dividends your max tax credit is 15%. If > 15% tax was withheld you will need to reclaim it somehow (and good luck). This is 15% of the gross dividend and not the net dividend received.

Reactions: JMG
Thanks dublin67. I believe 15% was the tax taken - I have a W8-BEN with both the US broker and with Davy.

Similar question to this...I have divs due on Irish, & German stocks. I report to revenue via ROS (as I had ETFS). I can report the Irish divs through Myaccount online, but I don't see anywhere for the German divs. Where do these get reported?

I'll bump this as my question is the same as daheff's. Is there an option in myaccount to put in dividend income from places that aren't Ireland, the US, the UK or Canada?

Back