Question regarding Invalidity Pension / Social Welfare

johnmurf83

I am writing on behalf of a relation who has recently been turned down for an invalidity pension. He injured himself over two years ago and his injury has resulted in him being unfit to return to work since then. He had been in receipt of illness benefit for 2 years but as this is the maximum time allowed, this payment has now ceased. He applied for an invalidity pension and this was turned down on the basis that he was still engaged in the management of his farm. He has a small farm with a minimal income of 3000 euro coming from having some land let. He has no stock on the land at present but has a herd number in his name. An inspector visited the farm to confirm there was no stock etc. and indicated that he was satisfied with what he saw. However, their report indicated he was not to receive an invalidity pension due to being involved in the management of the farm.

It has been suggested that he is likely to be turned down for disability on the same grounds. I believe he is also not entitled to receive jobseekers allowance as he must be fit to work in order to be in receipt of this.

The above scenario has resulted in no income for the past few months since illness benefit has ceased. I would be grateful of any advice which could be offered as to what is the best course of action for him to take from here as he will struggle to survive on farm income alone.

Back