Question re upgrading car?

amtc

My dad has an 07D opel corsa - 37k km. He had it in his head to get a slightly bigger car..he is 75 and doesn't do that much mileage. Personally I don't think he needs a new car, but he wants to upgrade it - we're talking local trips and one or two each month southside from westside. He reckons he saves 100 e anyway (only has OAP) so could put it into a new car.

Am I right in thinking (apart from vanity) that he doesn't need a new car?

My mam has her own 010D car (don't suggest sharing - they tried that before and I was nearly an orphaned child - they both like to do their own thing!)

Surely it his own business if he wants to upgrade his car. I hope when I reach
75 I will be able to decide for myself how best to spend my own money.

My dad has an 07D opel corsa - 37k km. He had it in his head to get a slightly bigger car..he is 75 and doesn't do that much mileage. Personally I don't think he needs a new car, but he wants to upgrade it - we're talking local trips and one or two each month southside from westside. He reckons he saves 100 e anyway (only has OAP) so could put it into a new car.

Am I right in thinking (apart from vanity) that he doesn't need a new car?
My dear departed Dad loved to upgrade often - it was one of the few pleasures he had left at that age. Support him and let him enjoy himself as long as he can afford it. :)

Thanks - you're right - his money, his choice. What I should've added is that he barely got through the doctor's test to renew his licence end last year (he had a crash and can't turn his neck) so I just don't want to see money wasted...so I don't see the need for a new car. I'll get my mam to do the reasoning!

If your Dad can afford a new car - then it's his choice. He is 75 and in good health and can make good decisions.

With all due respect AMTC he barely got through the tests, but he did.

He is relatively young. Let him enjoy his remaining years. Money or value for money isn't everything. Sometimes we have to think of dignity and respect for those we love even it it means we have to abandon common sense at times.

Marion

Last edited:
Back