Question re; tax relief on nursing home fees

Macca23

Hi,

I have been paying for my mothers nursing home fees for the past 10 months and I have recently applied for the fair deal scheme.I was wondering about claiming back the tax relief at the higher rate of 41% on Nursing home fees.I pay about 10K at this rate a year and I am a little confused about the calculation.Can I claim the whole 10k back or is it just 41% of the 10K?

Thanks

If you have an income of, say, 60,000 you will be taxed on 60,000. If you have a 10,000 nursing home bill this will be deducted from the 60,000 to leave you with a taxable income of 50,000.

Thus you save the tax on 10,000 I.e 40% @ 10.000 = 4,000.

You will still pay USC on 60.

Need help with calculating my Fathers Tax rebate on his nursing home bill where He has paid a total of 30k this year to the Home. He has a small private Pension and pays very little Tax on it...I read somewhere that He would be entitled to 20% rebate on the 30k.

Any idea on how to calculate what He is entitled to based on the above...Best Regards..

If he's paying his own nursing home fees he can only obtain a rebate of the tax he has actually paid.

If you are in the higher tax bracket then consider paying the nursing home fees for your father and claim back a higher amount of tax.

Back