Question re: dole

W

witchymand

My friend has been claiming unemployment assistance for herself and her son for the past two years. However in the last few months she has got back with her ex partner, and they are now considering moving in together, he does work, but has some bills of his own to pay.
Will she be stopped her dole for cohabitating with him?
she is worried as she doesn't even know whether this relationship is going to work out and is scared to give up her only independance of her own dole money, but also wants to be honest about it all.
What would you advice?
Thanks

dole and means test

Unemployment Assistance is a means tested payment, as a result (once her partner moves in) they will assess her claim for UA based on her partners income (regardless of expences).
She may very well lose her payment (assuming her partner has anything close to an average industrial wage). If this is to be the case she should enquire about her entitlement to sign for prsi credits.

Note: she will also have to inform her Health Board, as a result her Medical card (if granted on income grounds) may also be affected.

If in Local Authority housing, her rent will also be reassessed.

Local Authorities, Social Welfare, Health Board will view them as a couple. Unlike Revenue, who will view them as two single people, meaning her partner will be unable to gain any tax benefit afforded to married couples.

You just can't win!

Re: dole and means test

Most anoyying of all is of course Revenue don't give you a break for cohabiting while SW persecute you...surely one of the biggest anomolies in our "family centred" society

Wasn't the whole principle of that lesbian couple going to court against the revenue a test case for this...actually, does anyone know what the outcome is or has it been announced yet?
if they win and the revenue has to grant equal rights to cohabiting partners as married couples it will cost them hundreds of millions as far as I recall from articles at the time..

The couple were granted leave to pursue their claim through the courts, not a murmur since Novemeber apart from the occasional freelance article.
Last calculation by the Cork (oops!)Irish Examiner said that a change in tax law recognising unmarried couples would cost Revenue €167 million every year. The back claims are just too much to even think about.

Re: Lesbian Couple Situation

The thing is this couple are not looking for the status as an unamrried couple - they are looking for recognition of their legal marriage in another juridisction. A male-female couple married in Canada in the same ceremony would get the tax breaks.

Any changes do not necessarily apply to cohabiting couples that have not "married" legally

it would seem the next step though i have to say. If you base benefits paid on simply co-habiting but base tex breaks received on being married only then it seems like it just needs someone to be willing to fight it...

re: Tax Breaks

I don't necessarily agree that it does follow on from it. This couple have registered themselves as a partnership and if in Canada they would have to go through a divorce to seperate.

How can you automatically assume that people are in a co-dependent partnership without some form of validation. I share an appartment with someone for nearly three years - we are friends, we share the bills. But in no way are we dependent on each other and can leave each other at the drop of a hat. Should we share benefits - No way! I think that a recognised binding agreement should be in place. Otherwise how do you define the benefits that are attached to each person.

I do not agree that it has to be marriage in the traditional/religous sense. But some form of "duty of care" arrangement should be signed before the breaks are administered. Otherwise it would be a logistical nightmare with some people setting up home with each other for short periods of time (and fair play to them for it). But tax payers do no need to cover these more transient partnerships.

Anyway - good luck to the two women - a brave but smart attack on our outdated partnership rules.

no, but my point is you can't base cutting social welfare payments on people who are cohabiting, but then only give them tax credits if married...

Yeah Legend - i do agree with you there - But thats the whole outdated notions of partnerships coming into force here as well.

Back