Question re Disabled Persons Grant

M

mrsmammy

Hi all,
I'm new to this forum so forgive me if this has been discussed before. I care for my aunt full-time and receive carer's allowance. She lives with us in the home my husband and I own, and we have 2 children. She has Down Syndrome and requires 24 hour minding and assistance with all her ADL's (activities of daily living)
We live in a 3 bed semi and she currently has the box room and our two children share a room.
We are hopefully having another baby next year, (just found out, so i say hopefully as it's early days yet to be making announcements.) I am looking into the Disabled person's grant as space is going to become an issue in the future in this house. When baby no.3 needs a bed which I know is 2012 as he/she will be born 2011 and then be in cot probably in our room for most of first year -but when the time comes I would like arrangements already made so i'm planning ahead now.
Has anyone any experience of dealing with Cavan County Council applying for a Disabled Person's Grant?
And if we did get approved to build on a room for her, would they fit it with a shower and toilet facilities as standard or does the person have to be already unfit for the stairs. She can manage to get upstairs slowly at present but as she reaches old age I can see her slowing down considerably and downstairs facilities would be fantastic for that reason.
Any help or information would be greatly appreciated as it seems to be a minefield when applying for this from what I read on the National Disability Authority's site.
Thanks in advance,
m

Last edited by a moderator:
Back