Question re Compact Fluorescent Lamp (neon?)

New Home

Hi there,

I've a light fitting in my kitchen which takes a compact 4-pin fluorescent lamp (shaped a bit like a B) - see LAMP for shape

I replaced the "bulb" at the weekend because it was taking a long to light up, and because it would flicker for ages before actually lighting.

The new "bulb" worked ok for a day or so, but now it's taking yonks to light up again (actually, it seems dead already...).

Do I need to call in an electrician to have a look at the actual base of the lamp, or is there anything that I can check/change on my own without running the risk of getting electrocuted?

Thanks.

I have the same type of bulb................Did have connection problems too .........It was falling down and I noticed that it has a very loose connection .

I used a heat resistant filler - something like 'no more nails ' to hold the bulb firmly in place .

If the bulb drops even a few millimetres , it will flicker and/or light less brightly

It's called a "2D" lamp and I think that some of the earlier fittings had a seperate "starter" (same as for a flourescent tube) incorporated in the fitting also.

Thanks for your replies folks.

Allthedoyles, I checked but the light isn't loose at all, so I guess that's not what's causing the problem - thanks for the suggestion, though.

Thanks Jetblue. Is the starter a roundy-thingy (technical term...) that sticks out a bit and is placed slightly off-centre near the attachment for the 2D light? Does it need to be changed, do you think? Is that something I can do (a bit like changing a fuse) or should I call in the experts/ the landlord?

Thanks.

Is the starter a roundy-thingy (technical term...) that sticks out a bit .

"Be careful, power off the light fitting first"

YES, it's a cylinder, 20mm diameter, 40mm length(approx) with 2 pins sticking out at the end (the end you can't see). Catch the end that you can see (between thumb and forefinger) and turn it anticlockwise, it should drop down to you. Take it to your local friendly electrical wholesaler and a new one should cost less than a euro.

Of course if you are in rented accomodation I would expect the landlord to sort out this for you!

It could be the starter, we have these lights in work and the starters are always going. We have an Eastern Electric nearby and buy them there for a couple of Euro.

Thanks for your help everyone, I'll get the starter replaced (thanks for the fool-proof explanation Jetblue) and see if that sorts out the problem.

I changed the starter this afternoon (€1.27 for a pack of two - a bargain!) and the light worked like a charm!

Thanks for your help, folks!

Back