Question over side garden land

hm2605

Hi,
Have a situation with land at the side of our house. Basically the story is. We purchased our house over 3 years ago, purchased from plans and moved in, in Oct 2003. When we purchased the house from the plans it was a mid terrace house, but during building we were told there was no room to build the house to the left of us so our house had become a semi detached. I presumed at the time the land next to the house would be green area. We asked the foreman about this and he said that it would be given to us as a side garden, which we were happy with. The owner of the building firm was also present during this conversation. The builders build the wall at the front of the house and fenced in the back garden etc and we said it to our solicitor and thought that was it.

Now 3 years later we received a solicitors letter asking us who said we could take this land as part of our garden. Now I'm worried that they'll try to take it back, not that they'd have any access to it with our parking spaces in front and the house behind us has a private foot path for entrance to the back garden on the other side. Or if they will now charge us etc. I find this strange they they've come back with this now as I thought it was all sorted. Has anyone ever heard of this happening before? I am waiting to speak to my own solicitor on this.
Thanks

I presumed at the time the land next to the house would be green area. We asked the foreman about this and he said that it would be given to us as a side garden, which we were happy with. The owner of the building firm was also present during this conversation. The builders build the wall at the front of the house and fenced in the back garden etc and we said it to our solicitor and thought that was it.
Regardless of what people on site said or did the ultimate arbiter in this are the plans that were part of the contract and which your solicitor should have reviewed with/for you. What do they say? Sounds like there is a distinct possibility that you do not, in fact, own the land and the legitimate owner would be perfectly entitled to reclaim it.

Surely there is a site map as part of your purchase indicating whihc land belongs to you.
He said we said should not come into it.

All the plans we have still have the house that was never built on them. Still haven't been able to speak to my solictor but it seems to me that most likely we'll have to pay up for it now, if they agree to that. Better finding out now that this was never sorted out than when we try to sell it down the road.

The plans with your specific mortgage deeds should outline the site that you were purchasing.

Back