question on VRT

krabik

I have a question on VRT that I want to run past some of the more astute minded members

My girlfriend has a car, she, is the main insured on the car, I am only a named driver. I am from the North and she is from the south... So i have an address in the north as well as Dublin.

I was told that I could by a car in the north, saving me a good few pounds and bring it down south and register it and not pay VRT... as its from the north....

If this is the case, can I sell it to my girlfrined for the saem price I bought it and then allow her to insure it in her name and me as a named driver... therefore essentially its like her buyng a new car but saving thousands in the process....

I would not be doing this on a regular basis btw just when we needed a new car

I can ring the VRT people as I have their number but i just wanted to have a rough idea first

thanks paddy

krabik said:
If this is the case, can I sell it to my girlfrined for the saem price I bought it and then allow her to insure it in her name and me as a named driver... therefore essentially its like her buyng a new car but saving thousands in the process....
If you lie on your insurance form (i.e. name her as main driver when actually it is you), your insurance contract is invalid and you are effectively driving without insurance.

You must have owned the car for 6 months in the North before registering it in the south without paying the VRT and then you cant sell it on for a further 12months after registering it the South.

I think you might need more than address in NI. you might have to be able to prove you actually live there, eg Utility Bills, Bank A/C etc.

I was thinking of using my brothers address in UK for just such a scheme but was advised that I would need more than just an address.

then again you did say you are from there originally so maybe you do have some documentation to back it up

Last edited:
It was a while ago since I did this but when I moved from UK to Ireland I took my car with me. I remember needing quite a bit of documentation and thinking that it would not be easy to scam. The main thing was tax returns I needed to prove I lived in Uk by producing tax stuff and them needed similar to establish that I had indeed taken up residence in Ireland.

I guess the rule stands "if it were easy everyone would do it"

QP

Yes, actually that´s exemption of VRT for change of residence. For doing so you have to prove you have been living abroad for at least one year and have to prove so with credit card statements, payslips, whatever...
Actually I have been living in Spain for longer than one year and I come here with my car (Spanish one), didn´t know whether I was staying or coming back. It´s not but now after coming back from a long long holiday from Argentina that I decided to stay.
And I am trying to get all the documentation in order .... as finding little bit difficult to get every single little tiny paper, I´ll probably ask in the office for advise, whether I should register it here by paying the whole amount, it´s 315 euros, not a luxury car mine, or if I could do it as change of residence.
You will find all about Exemptions at www.revenue.ie

Back