Question on rental, tax and new laminate flooring

PaxmanK

A question came up and I was wondering if the good people here about might know the answer.

In a rental property it requires all new floors.
The landlord has bought the floors for €1000 and seperatley is going to pay a carpenter €500 to lay them.

How is that treated for tax.
Is the €500 expensed in this year's tax and the €1000 at 12.5% for 8 years.

Or is the total amount of 1500 taken out at 12.5% for the 8 years.

Thanks guys.

If you decide it's wear and tear than I'd put 1500 @ 12.5%. That's what I did in relation to putting in a new kitchen where the kitchen cost was separate to the labour.

But one could argue it's a repair/replacement the floorin because it is needed. And then it's 1500 in one year as a repair.

Thanks for that. I guess it doesn't really matter which it is as long as it goes under the correct heading.

It's for someone who basically has a wrecked apartment back after a bad rental. All the repairs are going to cost them a fortune.

In that case it's definitely a repair. Could you tell me what the tenant did to wreck the place. I like to know these things.

(tiles might be better than wooden, last longer and more difficult to damage)

In that case it's definitely a repair. Could you tell me what the tenant did to wreck the place. I like to know these things.

(tiles might be better than wooden, last longer and more difficult to damage)

He showed me the pictures . Looks to be water damage plugs deep gouges like they were dragging concrete blocks across the floors. And what I recognize as paw scratches where a dog has obviously had quite a few goes at them too.
Storage heaters hanging off the walls.
Skirting boards even hanging off.

The only problem with tiles is that when they do have to be changed its a horrible job.

It's not just his floors, but curtains torn. Press doors hanging off. Doors hanging off etc. They even took all the lightbulbs.

I honestly can't understand how he even wants to rent it again, but I guess some people have higerh tolerance than others

He's taking the hit because it's part of the business of being a landlord. Hopefully this will be the last time for him. He should get three months deposit if he can and vet more carefully next time. The ones he had sound like animals.

How much is it going to cost him do you know? I wouldn't mind seeing the photos. If you don't want to send them to me in public you can pm me and I will never divulge them to anybody else.

He showed them to me on the phone so i'll ask him when I see him again if he will send them.
He hasnt actually got any quotes yet, but i should think it will cost him a hell of a lot.
I guess he has to do it up anyway even to sell it if he wanted to, but hes going to continue renting it.

He did say he will never ever rent to Hap again though and i told him that was illegal.
To which he replied, nope, I will instruct the agent that since their integrity is potentially compromised regarding Hap that they are not to come anywhere near him with a Hap tenant.
He cant trust that an estate agent would come to him with the best tenant or if they were influenced by the €500 from Hap, so he told them not to even bring that into the equation by coming to him with a Hap tenant.
Fair point I suppose.

Back