Question on Quinn life and currency allocation in the event of a euro break up.

Nomansland

I am currently emailing QL witht he same query I am about to put to you guys. Just wondering what your take on it would be.

I currently have invested a lump sum in the QL freeway funds whose composition is as follows.

Cash - 50%
Euro freeway 17%
Emerging markets 17%
China freeway 8%
japan Freeway 8%

What would happen with the above in currency terms if we reverted back to a punt nua.
For exampe the Euro Freeway is invested in the top European blue chip stocks and it aims to track the DJ Euro Stoxx50 index. So if we were to revert to a punt nua would I be right in saying that if the Euro borke up my money in this fund would be trading in a basket of currencies depending on the country allocation of the individual companies been invested in?

With the Emerging, China and Japan Funds, they aim to track the Bank of New York Emerging markets index, the FTSE/Xinhua China 25 index and the MSCI Japan index fund respectively. My understanding of it at the moment is that at the end of each trading day your individual shares are converted from their individual source country currencies back to euro to give you the value of your fund. Is this correct and if so could this not be considered a way in which to keep your money in other curriencies in the event of a Euro breakup?

Finally with regard to the cash freeway fund, it is invested in a number of short term deposits using the best rates available. I assume so that it is on deposit in a number of European banks, and again in the event of a break up, the currecny allocation would depend on the countries of the banks that it is on deposit in.

In summary, could a QL investment be considered another way of diversifying the currency allocation of your money with the risk involved of trading the stock market obviously?

Nobody can tell you what would happen in a break up situation, because it was never considered when the original agreements were put in place. So many issues would have to be addressed before it could be done that the time line would render it a useless exercise. So assume the Euro will continue to exist!

Assuming the Euro continues to exist and a country was able to agree terms which allowed it to leave the zone, I think it is very unlikely that it would have any impact on funds and instruments designated in Euros. It is only if the currency itself was to disappear that things would get complex.

Back