Question on Quinn Freeway fund tax calculation

Nomansland

Hi all,
I opened an account with Quinn in Jan 2006 and deposited a lump sum into it, spreading it over a number of freeway funds. Obviously, with the way the markets have gone over the last few years, there is currently no tax liability on this as I am down on my initial investment. My Q is. If I deposit 5K now, will this 5K investment be treated seperately from a tax point of view from the rest of the investment, or will any potential gains made by it be offset by losses on the original investment, thereby reducing the tax liability?

Thanks in advance.

If you put it into the existing policy, When you go to withdraw, you will only pay tax if the whole policy is valued at more than total contributions. So you will get to "benefit" from the current "loss".

Note, that even if you don't withdraw, tax will be calculated on the policy every 8 years, based on the inception date of the policy. (if the value of the policy is lower than contributions no tax will be due, and the next deemed diposal tax date will be in another 8 years)

Is it allowed to offset losses in Quinn Freeway funds against other gains? (like with regular shares)

No - gains/losses in funds such as Quinn Freeway are treated separately from capital gains/losses on other investments, such as shares, property,...

Back