Question on external insulation

Petal

Folks,

I have lots of questions, as I haven't got the first idea about external insulation.
I have an end of terrace (ex council) with pebble dash on the walls (concrete). My entire downstairs is dry lined, but not upstairs. The attic is insulated. My bedroom, hall and bathroom are freezing (all external walls). I've been thinking about dry lining inside upstairs, but it would cause a lot of trouble, with having to move radiators and built in wardrobes being in the way, etc. So it would be much easier to put something on the outside wall.

I once rented a semi-d and the guy next door had a sort of second wall built using bricks that looked like they were made from some insulating material (foam like). I can't quite be sure what exactly was used, but it was put straight onto the wall and was then rendered over.

I've also read through some posts here and come across the Kingspan K5 option (I checked them for internal insulation).

I suppose what I want to know is,

1 - can you put Kingspan K5 or similar directly onto pebble dashed exterior wall?

2 - does anyone know what these bricks I saw might have been?

3 - There was a suggestion that doing this for a semiD (or in my case end of terrace) is of no use as the attached house would loose all the heat - what do people think?

4 - is there any other products apart from Kingspan or other methods I could consider?

Thanks to everyone for your help, I'm really new to the concept...

Hi Petal,

Yes as far as I know you can apply external insulation to pebble dashed walls. Part of my house had a rough stone fininsh and all the installer did was skim over this with some of their basecoat product (a bit like tile adhesive).

You'll also need to consider what's going to happen at the eves i.e. have you enough of an overhang to allow you to fit your required thickness of board.

Other issues that come to mind will be the adjustment of downpipes, the detail around window reveals and the step where you meet the adjoining property.

The best thing to do first is to contact one of the installers and get them to do a site visit and quote for you. Kingspan will give you the names of a few installers or REP ltd who are material providers should have a few contacts as well in this area.
Bear in mind however that this is quite an expensive solution and you should expect to paying around 120/150 per sqm for the job. If the downstairs area is dry lined already then I'd guess that you'd be dryling upstairs for far less cost than the EI job.

Hope this helps
Regards
Franm
ps no association with any of these companies

Many thanks! Yes looking at the cost involved I think this is not a viable option at the moment!

Back