Question about roundabouts

A sensible approach would be to assume there is only a single exit if you don't know. That approach will never see you caught out.

Most roundabouts have signage indicating the location of exits, but again, if in doubt whether your exit is slightly over 180 degrees, play it safe and stay left.

I've been caught out once (and seen it a few times) where I was in the right or middle lane going straight ahead (two lanes in, two lanes out, car on left turning left) and had a car in the left lane drive across me to take the right hand exit from the left lane.

I've been caught out once (and seen it a few times) where I was in the right or middle lane going straight ahead (two lanes in, two lanes out, car on left turning left) and had a car in the left lane drive across me to take the right hand exit from the left lane.

Can be a tricky one, but they are perfectly entitled to continue driving in the left hand lane. Cars in the second or subsequent lanes may only move left when their route is clear. Cars in lane 2 cutting across cars in the left hand lane to exit are breaking the law.

I disagree. Indicating before changing lanes, when using a roundabout, when entering or exiting a road; these are basic driving skills. Road engineers have nothing to do with that.....

It does if the roundabout is badly designed.

One near me goes from one lane up to the roundabout to two lanes on the roundabout then immediately back to one lane on exit. The roundabout isn't big enough for two lanes, all this one does it launch driver at each other on exit. As 50% of people exit the 2nd exit from the inner lane of the roundabout, the rest do it from the outer lane.

There is a habit in Ireland, and especially Dublin of using badly designed roundabouts and instead of fixing them, by making them bigger, or reducing them to one lane. They usually give up and replace them with signal controlled roundabout then a signal controlled cross roads.

The only rule I follow is don't hit anything.

The more I read here about performance and self made rules of the road here, the more I now fear roundabouts.

Back