Question about Marriage and Taxation?

tomfox3

I was on the phone to revenue on an unrelated matter (claiming rent relief) and I referred to "my wife" during the conversation. We got married abroad (in an EU country) in August last year. However, I decided not to bother advising revenue as I understood you can elect to remain taxed as a single person.
The person in Revenue seemed very interested and wanted the details of my spouse, regardless of my choice to be tax assessed separately.
I received a letter today advising that the revenue commissioners must be informed of any change in my circumstance.
Enclosed is an "Assessable Spouse election form" which I have been asked to complete and return?
To be honest I don't understand all the options on the form or what the consequences are if I return it. There is no option on the form to be assessed as single person. The only options are
1) Continue to be assessed as a married couple
2) Have your credits divided equally
3) Transfer your tax credits to the assessable spouse.

I guess I need to hire an accountant now as I have no idea what works out best. Wish I had not rang them at all about rent relief.
Any advice? Do I need to return this form as stated?

Option 2 will leave you in the same position you are now.
If one of you earn a low salary, ie not on top tax rate, then you may wish to allocate some of that person's credits to the other party.

You may as well return it, it will make it easier if you need to adjust the split of credits in the future

Thank you Berni. I appreciate that reply. We are both earning over the cut off point for lower tax, so probably best to leave it as for now.

Tom we never advised the Revenue we were married either, but i've sent in our Med1 claimed on my husband's PPSN for both of us. They did mention the Assessable Spouse form but like you, I didn't see an option that would apply to us (i.e. leave us as we are) so didn't send it in either. We got married in 2006.

Berni, that's good info to have thanks, I will send in the form tomorrow.

M

If you are claiming rent relief then they need to know you have a wife as I assume you live together and therefore the claim is for both of you. Hence the question about your wife, or has she claimed rent relief seperately herself

Back