Question about distance learning?

W

witchymand

Hi,
I am really interested in trying to get a diploma in something, maybe something to do with Beauty as in beauty therapist etc, would I be better off trying to do it in a night school, or would distance learning be the way to go.
I saw some ads on the internet for different places where you can attain diplomas through home study, but are these diplomas worth anything really?

Beauty therapist

I would imagine that with most of these types of courses you would be better off actually attending classes as so much of the subject really needs practical work as well as learning the theory. Perhaps with the distance learning courses you should check how much time will be given to practical sessions. I think with most distance learning courses there are a couple of weekends a year when you have to actually attend classes.

Hi witchymand,

To begin with I hope that the aam moderators don't say all my suggestions are the same.

I would agree with Janet's suggestion that maybe a beauty course may not be ideally suited to distance learning. Doing a bit of research now will help you a lot in the long run, some online courses have get together sessions for example on sat mornings. However don't just go for a course that you saw pop up on the net, check out the qualification, call to some of your local beauty therapists and see what qualifications they have, ask them about their training, most people are only to willing to talk about their qualifications. Do you have less favourite therapists? Where did they qualify from?

There is loads of very good courses available, just make sure you go for the more that is right for you and your hopes/expectations/dreams.

but are these diplomas worth anything really

This is a tough question, a normal third level diploma takes three years but you are looking at a different field, possibly getting a diploma in one year, so even though some people make negative comments its not really comparing like with like. But it is important to get the distinction clear

Education (should be all education but particularly further education and third level) is a rich and rewarding experience. Any diploma that benefits you enhances your knowledge and experience is definitely worth something. Remember education is for you not what other people think.

Bear in mind the caveat on different types of diplomas above, sit down and think about what you would like to do, go to course open evenings with an open mind. Are you seeking a course just for better knowledge/enjoyment for yourself or to enhance or change your career. Don't be put off by the time it takes to complete a course if its the one for you.

A bit of work now will make sure you end up on the right course(s) for you and will make it a much more fulfilling experience.

Sorry about the long reply, don't mean to sound preachy
The very best of luck with it.

thanks

thanks Marian for you long reply and also Janet, I am going to look into it a lot more. I do know that a college in Dun Laoghaire are doing a one year diploma course based over two nights a week, so maybe I will go for that one.
Thanks a million for your advice.

Back