Query on UK state pension entitlement

F

fergalfriel

I worked in UK between 1992 and 2003 and so qualify for 11/30 of a basic state pension based on time ther. I was advised to pay AVCs when I moved back,(and have done this) but am unsure what exactly they will entitle me to. Back here I pay self employed PRSI, and will continue to do so until 2033 (age 65). Will I get UK and Irish pension when i hit retirement age?

AVCs have nothing to do with the State Contributory Pension - they are a means of building up a fund of money privately to supplement whatever other pensions you will have accumulated at retirement.

AVCs (Additional Voluntary Contributions) are most commonly (but not exclusively) used by PAYE employees to improve whatever benefits they are building up in their employer's pension scheme. But you say you pay self-employed PRSI. Can you clarify if you are a self-employed sole trader or partner, a company director or a PAYE employee?

A summary of the rules governing qualification for the Irish State Contributory Pension is available here.

Regards,

Liam D. Ferguson

Thanks Liam - AVCs in UK state pension context are class 3 national insurance voluntary contributions.
Since moving back to Ireland i am a self employed sole trader and pay PRSI accordingly.
Thanks for your interest and help.

I have been in correspondence with UK state pension office, about buying extra years, and think we can indeed get both. I'm still not 100% sure, as we have to apply through the Irish system. The UK pension is lower, and I would hate it if having a UK entitlement were to reduce what one gets from the Irish pension. But as far as I know, the two entitlements are independent.

Back