Query on selling company shares before EOY for CGT exemtion

Cloudd

Hi all,

I'm aware of the 1,270euro gains amount an individual can profit/bank each year before they pay CGT. My question is around what figure do I calculate against.

I work for a US Tech company, and have a small enough amount in shares (I designate 5% of my monthly to ESPP). I get a 15% discount on the market price.

Let's say the stock is $150 per share. So when the company makes a purchase in a few weeks on my behalf, I will get it for circa $127.5.

Assuming I want to sell a batch of them before the end of the year, what's the optimum amount of them I should sell?
And what price am I basing the CGT calc on? My discounted price, or the market price on the given day?

Let's say the stock is $150 per share. So when the company makes a purchase in a few weeks on my behalf, I will get it for circa $127.5.
You're liable for income tax on the discount is most cases.
Your company may deal with this via payroll. Ask them.
If they don't then you need to declare and pay it yourself.
Then the acquisition cost for CGT purposes is the market price $150.
Assuming I want to sell a batch of them before the end of the year, what's the optimum amount of them I should sell?
Optimum in what way? If you mean to avoid CGT then whatever number yields a gain of €1,270. If you're married you could transfer some into your spouse's name so they can do likewise. Be aware of the CGT filing and payment dates.
And what price am I basing the CGT calc on? My discounted price, or the market price on the given day?
The latter.

Back