Query on how to calculate CGT due Fri 15Dec.. from NPPR sale

housebound

When a married couple are calculating the CGT due on a nppr house sale...

(Q1)do they take into account the €1270 personal exemption of both husband and wife....so €2540? They are normally taxed separately as PAYE workers...not sure if that makes a difference or not.

They do not normally make a tax return as they have no income other that their salaries from their PAYE jobs. They will however have to make a return by 31 Oct 2018 for the CGT on the house sale which closed on 15Nov2017. The CGT is due by this Fri 15 Dec 2017.

On the CTG payslip there is only 1 PPS number requested so (Q2) does this mean its acceptable to just input the details for 1 of the couple and pay the total CGT due or would it be expected that 2 CGT payslips are filled in and each of the couple pay half?

Advice would be much appreciated given that the CGT is due by Fri!

As long as you pay the due amount, the Revenue won't/don't really care if you pay with 1 CGT or 2 CGT - at least, that is my experience.

Q1. Yes, 2 x € 1,270

When you file your return (or returns, if have elected for separate treatment) next year, you can give the details (PPS numbers, etc)

Thanks JD,
I decided to only include 1 personal exemption in my CGT calculation in the end as it didn'. Make a whole pile of difference and thought that it' better to be slightly over than under!

The cheque is winging its way to limerick now by express post. Hopefully I've done the calculation right.

Back