Wrong forum Query on editing employee contract of employment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corner

Hi,
I have recently been presented with a revised contract of employment by my employer. Upon reviewal, I asked for a number of items to be clarified, most of which were. But I had a query over one clause which meant the company could make "reasonable" changes to an employee's terms & conditions as would be deemed necessary to meet the business needs of the company. I am reluctant to sign this as it basically does not give me any control over the other terms & conditions in the contract being changed. My employer has reluctantly agreed to change the wording to something that I would be more comfortable with, but instead of issuing a revised contract document, has told me to edit/modify the contract in pen (my own writing!) and that he & I would inital it. I am very dubious about this and would appreciate some legal input. Sounds very unprofessional to me. :(

It's not unusual to make handwritten changes to a contract, although, if acting for an employer, I'd prefer to do the edits myself to control the language inserted. If you have agreed the changes, then just do as they say - make them by hand and initial beside the changes. It would be better if you had an electronic copy of the agreement and make the changes to that version, but there's nothing inherently wrong with handwriting changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back