Query - Early Retirement on Medical Grounds - HSE

jan

Hi there, I have a query for ye.. my brother has been working in the HSE as a care assistant for the last 11 years.. has been off sick for the last 13 mths due to a medical reasons... early retirement on medical grounds is something he is considering - but he's only 47.. feels he could work in other jobs perhaps in the future but no longer as a care assistant in a hospital - not fit (GP agrees - has yet to ask Cons).. and has been under a lot of stress in the job over the years so wants out..
HR are slow to provide info..
Qs:
1. is it retiring from his current role or saying that he is retiring period? as in, never work again?
2. His understanding so far is that he can never work in the HSE again - not even in admin - anyone know if this is correct?
3. Could he get a job in a different field - privately? (In a job that he would be able for ie: not as energy draining/stressful as his current job)

He is not so much worried about the money side of things at this point he says - just wants to know what the lay of the land is - so he can make the best decision for him.. he's only 47 - would like to be able to work again in some capacity, without this being held against him.
TIA

There’s a distinction between fitness for work in general and for work in particular roles. Your brother’s case is the latter of these.

I don’t know what the HSE’s policy is, but the normal policy in these circumstances would be redeployment to a less onerous (perhaps administrative) role that overcomes the difficulty encountered.

In your brother’s case, perhaps the more preferred option would be redeployment. An organisation of that size should have no difficulty making any such accommodation.

Retirements on ill health grounds aren’t easily granted. It’s a significant call to make that a person is not fit to ever work again and so the threshold is understandably high. If retirement is granted however, it is likely that your brother would be unable to work at least in the public sector without it affecting his pension.

Whether he could work elsewhere in the private sector would depend on the terms of the granting of his ill health retirement. There is likely to be a condition that the pension is granted on the basis that he is unlikely to work again. Whether this is specific to the line of work in which he is engaged or whether it would apply to all work is a matter that only the HSE could confirm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jan
hi ya thanks for that @Salvadore - I guess he needs to get his hand on a policy.. thanks again... work to be done.. its a v big deal

Back