Query consolidate loans?

maggieO

Spouse’s/Partner's age: 34

Annual gross income from employment or profession: 44500
Annual gross income of spouse:38000

Type of employment: e.g. Civil Servant, self-employed
Both public sector, im permanent, husbands contract up next feb, hoping to be renewed but may not be

In general are you:
(a) spending more than you earn, or
(b) saving? saving a little - less than 100 a month

Rough estimate of value of home 230000
Amount outstanding on your mortgage: 180000 (910 per month)
What interest rate are you paying? 3.6

Other borrowings – car loans/personal loans etc
2700 AIB loan for furniture
6000 Credit Union loan (used to buy car but topped up when on maternity leave and when timing belt of car went)
800 credit card

Do you pay off your full credit card balance each month?
If not, what is the balance on your credit card? 800, pay 300 each month

Savings and investments:
2500 in one account
350 in credit union which cant touch

Do you have a pension scheme?
Yes

Do you own any investment or other property?
No

Ages of children:
1 and a half

Life insurance:
basic mortgage protection 35per month

What specific question do you have or what issues are of concern to you?
We were hoping to get debt free by the end of 2010 and are paying more into CU loan than needed but my car has gone belly up and to be honest there is so much wrong with it its a case of shovelling money into a black hole or cutting our losses and getting a new one. I am looking to spend 5000 or so as dont want to get another banger, need something reliable. I dont want to touch my savings as its small enough and if something goes wrong Id like a cushion. I wonder should I consolidate all debts into CU loan and throw everything we have to spare at that until it is cleared. We are hoping to have another baby next year but if we still have loans paying for childcare will be very difficult. On paper our income is good but with me dropping hours, doing no overtime as i now have a baby and with both of us hit with pension levy and all the rest we are down over 1000 euro a month and just about break even every month. I hate to take on more debt but we have no choice as need a car and our household only has one car.

Back