Query about credit checks

I would imagine that a specific financial institution will take all relevant information into consideration when assessing loan applications - this could include ICB records which cover 5 years AND any other records of their own that they have relating to the applicant's past dealings with them. I doubt that 12 year old missed CC payments would, on their own, necessarily jeopardise an application but it really depends on the financial institution's own rules.

You don't make it clear how the lender would check back 12 years unless, as ClubMan suggests, they had these details from a previous application or the applicant voluntarily discolosed the credit card late payments. They can't go back that far with the ICB.

I would agree entirely with ClubMan that no lender is likely to refuse an application solely because of a 12-year-old credit card misdemeanour unless the loss to the credit card issuer was of Nick Leeson proportions.

But remember - lenders are commercial businesses. They are under no obligation to lend to anyone if they don't want to.

Back