Queries - Need Help!

U

Unregistered

Hi There,

I have some queries that I am really hoping that the great people with knowledge on this forum can help me!

1. Are there any catches with the new current account that Permanent TSB has on offer with no banking fees? I understand there are fees for an overdraft facility. Are you aware of an expiry date on how long they will offer this for? As in if I sign up with them will this offer only apply say for the first year & then they will bring in charges? I phoned their helpline & the person said no but wasn't sure if this was in writing anywhere for the customer?

2. In relation to the €40 government stamp duty as per the budget there was talk that this has been abolished if a person wants to change cards - they will only be charged once. I phoned AIB today looking to change within AIB to a gold card as it has a better rate & I went through the whole lot over the phone and at the end of the conversation he told me that they will have to charge me another €40 - I mentioned the budget & he said that there was talk but they have no written instructions on this?

3. Last but not least, AIB have introduced this Maestro card, which is a combination of a laser card and ATM card but they are still charging €20.00. Should this be the case as it is now only 1 card so you would think it would be €10.00 - Again AIB told me that this is the government so....

I would really appreciate clarification on the above.

Many thanks
Jo

1. Unfortunately, there are no guarantees in writing as to how long the free banking applies.

2. If you have paid stamp duty in respect of 2005/2006, you need a confirmation from your current provider that you have paid the tax when switching. Despite what AIB have said, you are only liable for €40 once a year, as long as you only have one active account at any time during the year.

3. There is a €20 charge on BoI and UB maestro/combined laser ATM cards, so I don't see why this should be any different for AIB.

Hope this helps.

On the credit card thing, just make sure you get a letter of closure from AIB if you close your credit card. You'll then give this to your new card provider (AIB) to ensure you do not pay stamp duty on 1 April 2006 as you've already paid for period 2 April 05 - 1 April 06.

Doesn't the PTSB switcher account charge you 50c each time you pay a bill etc by EFT - this condition alone put me off switching to this account....

Back